Replacing my Spoil board 30X30

Have you seen this yet Bill?

@Bill Bill. You can open the tool and follow the prompts. There is also info on the Sienci site under gSender documentation, additional features.

The tool makes squaring very simple. In short, put a V bit in the router. Move to any point where you easily access the router. Turn the router on and manually lower it and put a small dimple in the spoil board. Jog up in Z. Then jog in X. I suggest 15", but you can choose any distance. Remember, though that you are using the 3-4-5 method to check square. Now, lower again and put a small dimple in the spoil board. Raise up in Z. Now jog 20" in Y. Put a small dimple there. Now move the router out of the way. Measure between the second and third dimples. If perfect, it should be 25". You will be putting all these measurements into gSender. It will then tell you how much you have to move the rails and in what direction.

It took longer to type this than it takes to actually do this.

If you donā€™t want to put dimples in the spoil board, mount a sharp pencil in the router. Do not turn it on and mark the spoil board that way. Some put tape down to more easily see the mark.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated.

@Michael I have not seen this, I guess Iā€™m a creature of habit, need to get better, that would help preserve my spoil board. I use digital caliper to measure thickness then add a bit to cut through, itā€™s always dicey for me and I have even cut through tabs, if the material isnā€™t perfect thickness.

Sorry for not being more explicit, the directions for the calibration tool are about half way down that page I linked. From the sound of your response Iā€™m guessing you were looking at the safe height feature but maybe Iā€™m wrong. In either case it is easy to use just from Grantā€™s description.

1 Like

@Michael thank you for the help. Iā€™m not a math guy, is ther anyway to calculate rail movement, so if i am off .250 diagonal measure how much movement would be required?

Yes the calibration tool in gSender will tell you how far to move the rail to be square. Not sure if you have tried it yet but the tool will walk you through the process. As Grant has said I would recommend to move the machine using some multiple of the 3, 4, 5 triangle which is a right triangle with even numbers to make it easier to measure. I would use mm because I find it easier than a bunch of fractions everywhere. If you use mm you could move right 600mm when it says to move right, 800mm when is says to move back, and then your diagonal will be 1000mm IF the machine is square. If you prefer inches then use Grants numbers 15 to the right, 20 back and the diagonal should be 25 IF the machine is square.

Anyway the calibration tool will tell you when to move and you enter how far you moved, making 3 points that you marked on the spoil board. Then you do some measuring and enter those numbers and gSender will tell you how far to move the rail.

Iā€™ve done the calibration tool before and itā€™s not hard. I suggest you try it. The calibration tool will also check that your steps/mm is correct so that things you cut are not only square but the correct size as well.

If you have any trouble with the calibration tool post back here and I will try my best to help.

Edit:

If there is way to do it with just math based on the difference in diagonals it is beyond my math skills.

1 Like

.125 diagonal (corner) measure, easier than pyth
Yes, pythagorean theorem equation
3-4-5
6-8-10 and iterations of those measurements.
use to use 6 feet, 8 feet, and 10 feet in the shop all the time, yep built big stuff, the math is the same.

Thanks for all suggestions, had to move it 5.3mm all is good.

1 Like

@Bill Iā€™m glad you were able to resolve your problem, Bill.

As this problem has been solved, I am closing the thread. Anyone with a similar issue is welcome to open a new thread with the details of your particular problem. Iā€™m sure there are many here who will jump in to help.