Rotary probing of 100.00 mm headstock diameter

Hi,
Your Vortex Rotary Axis
headstock diameter is 78.00 mm.

My headstock diameter is 100.00 mm.

How can I set the Z-zero point to center ?

You ever get it solved ? I have the same problem I don’t have the vortex , made my own

@TimRod @mura does not seem to have been here since May when they asked the question. I would think that you would have to do this manually, using the “paper method”, just as many do to set Z0 on flat work.

You aren’t able to customize this in gSender currently but you can have a custom macro for probing if your rotary is not a Vortex:

%PROBE_FAST_FEEDRATE = 150
%PROBE_SLOW_FEEDRATE = 50
%PROBE_RETRACTION = 1

%Z_MIDPOINT = 39  ;  radius of your specific rotary unit
%Z_AXIS_LONG_MOVEMENT = 30
%Z_AXIS_SHORT_MOVEMENT = 2

G91 ; Relative positioning

G21

G38.2 Z[-Z_AXIS_LONG_MOVEMENT] F[PROBE_FAST_FEEDRATE]

G0 Z[PROBE_RETRACTION]

G38.2 Z[-Z_AXIS_SHORT_MOVEMENT] F[PROBE_SLOW_FEEDRATE]

G4 P0.15

G10 L20 P0 Z[Z_MIDPOINT]
G0 Z[Z_AXIS_SHORT_MOVEMENT]
G90

Above is quite literally the same code the UI button sends.

Just change %Z_MIDPOINT to be be the radius of your specific rotary - in this example the value is 39 (78 / 2)

1 Like

Thanks Kevin, It work perfect did the math entered it in MIDPOINT probe ran great check z zero
was spot on again THANKS!!!

1 Like

@KGN Just for my education, if you don’t mind, Kevin. What is the bit touching to complete the probe cycle?

@TimRod Maybe you can educate me.

Tks

Grant, I use the xyz probe wires my probe block has a removable plug i just open my 3 jaw chuck
jaws enough to insert the plug tighten the jaws just enough to hold it then place the alligator clip
on the router bit which is about 10mm over the head stock or (3 jaw chuck) just like doing a normal
probe but with the probe z button on rotary tab, With Kevin’s macro it work great also tested in normal cnc mode also and work great there also HOPE this helps you out

@TimRod Thanks much, Tim. I have the Vortex so I can use the rotary probe module in gSender. I just wanted to learn how this worked. How do you know that you are probing at the exact highest point/centre of the chuck? Tks again.

Well I’m new to the rotary stuff and in the vortex videos I have seen the Align Y axis should put you center of the chuck at least it dose for me it probes both sides of the chuck then centers over the
top of the chuck maybe 5 to 10mm high which should be the exact highest point then I just hit Kevin’s macro worked great for me.

PS: And the post above where I said just like doing a normal probe but with the probe z button on rotary tab ((it should say just like doing a normal probe with the probe z button on rotary tab but use Kevin’s macro instead))

@TimRod Tks, Tim. I wrongly thought that if you couldn’t use the Z probe module, you also couldn’t use the Y alignment module. Live and learn. Tks for the education. Be sure to post your rotary projects.

Y alignment is pretty straight forward because it touches two points and maths the center between them - it should work regardless of rotary option.

1 Like