Routine Maintenance

The set screws on the Z axis Lead screw pulley came loose and allowed the router to drive down into the work piece and spoil board.
It was running a 40 min toolpath and had gone approx. 30 minutes. I had left it unattended in order to work on something else while it was running. When I came back sparks were flying and my garage was filled with smoke. Had I been much longer it very likely would have caught on fire. My router runs but it may be damage from the heat concentrated on the shaft; it is discolored. It was new for use with the Longmill.

I intend to find a better method of securing the pulley and use locktite on the set screws (one fell out and I haven’t found it yet). I have already had other issues with screws loosening on the Longmill.
So, a loose set screw not only cost one project, but most likely a router and the bit that was in use.
Since the weight and stress of the router is supported by just 2 little set screws, perhaps it would be better for the lead screw to have a groove machined for a retaining ring to rest on the bearing.

Bottom line is: Make a routine of checking the torque on screws and bolts, especially on the XZ gantry.

1 Like

I had a similar event with the Z axis set screws not holding and lost a project. I filed some flats on the rod to line up with the set screws when I repaired it. So far so good, no issues since.

1 Like

I did the same and used Permatex thread locker on the set screws.

same exact thing happened to me. luckily I was standing right there but ruined the project. My plan is/was too grind/file a flat spot on the end of the lead screw for the set screw to hold against. My theory was that the set screw originally tightened on the high part of the thread, then slipped into the valley part of the thread. who knows, but the bit pulled itself all the way into my material and into the wasteboard.