VCarve Inlay Cheat Sheet

I was searching for something else on my hard drive when I found this cheat sheet that I had saved. I thought it might be useful so Iā€™m posting it here. It explains what all the numbers do as far as start depth and flat depth for both parts.

VCarve_Inlay_Cheat_Sheet.pdf (188.8 KB)

Edit: A recent :heart:, thanks @Scottp, reminded me that I wanted to put the other V-Carve Inlay PDF that I learned from here so they can be found in one spot. Basically, all that I know about V-Carve inlays came from these two PDFs.
VCarve_Inlay_Description_and_Procedure.pdf (1.1 MB)

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Is the 1in just for illustration purposes or has someone done an inlay cut that thick?

I would say itā€™s for demonstration, just to make the numbers easy. Iā€™m usually starting with ~3/4" before planing or surfacing so no 1" v-carving for me :grinning:

Michael, thanks for sharing this with us. Iā€™ve been wanting to try my hand at inlaying and think this should give me the encouragement Iā€™ve been needing!

Cheers,

Marty from Kingston, ON Canada

1 Like

How do you set up carveco?

I am trying female part 10mm depth.

Any ideas for bevel setting?

Iā€™m not sure. V-Carve, which is what I use, doesnā€™t have Bevel Carving which I assume you are using based on ā€œbevel settingā€. Both parts can be made with a v-carve.

Lets say I wanted to inlay a simple circle shape. The circle would be selected for the female part and that would v-carve the area inside the circle. For the male part another vector, say a square, would be placed around the circle. Then the square and the circle would be selected and the v-carve would be between the circle and the square leaving the circle proud.

Ya ok, I think that is the issue. Need to use the vcarve toolpath for both.

If FD = 10mm

Female: SD=0, FD=10mm (FD= flat depth / final depth / finish depth depending on software)

Male: SD=8mm, FD=2mm (2mm below SD)

Will try that, thanks!

In cheat sheet, why no ā€˜flat area clearanceā€™ on the female cut?

Thatā€™s a good question, I didnā€™t notice that. I did not make this cheat sheet so Iā€™m not sure.

Ya the sheet comes from Vetric.

Anyone find any difference in quality depending on if you do vcarve 1st or flat area clearance then vcarve?

Iā€™ve done it both ways, with and without depending on the size of the flat area. None of the flat areaā€™s end up showing. One gets cut away and the other is the bottom of the glue area so I think itā€™s mainly just to speed things up if you have large flats.

EDIT: I misread read your question. Read it as whether to use clearance at all. I do the clearance first to answer your question. I do it that way thinking the less material left for the v-carve the better.

Well actually, not doing the flat area clearance would save time. I will have to look at that.

I have done vcarve 1st for male part thinking extra material backing the bit might help preserve finer structures.

Will test both ways, was just wondering if there was some best practice already established.

Thanks for all your insights.