Vortex Rotary Axis Live Stream - May 25th @ 2PM EST

Do you have questions about the Vortex Rotary Axis? Now is your chance to get them answered live! Join our live stream on May 25, 2023, at 2 PM EST to get all the info you want on the Vortex Rotary Axis.

To let us know your questions, fill out the form linked below. Click the live stream link below to set yourself a reminder.

Questions form:

Link to live stream:

See you there!

Congratulations guys on getting this finalized. This is a huge step in the versatility of the Longmill. Amazing. Congrats to everyone involved.

I know its early on, and you folks have sales to make for your hardware.

I’d like to pose the question about availability for use on “other” hardware (Shapeoko 3XXL for me.)

What is it that makes this rotary axis specific to the Longmill hardware?

Not too much that makes it specific! It’s a simple stepper motor and sensor that should theoretically work with other machines. Feel free to shoot me a message if you’re keen to give it a shot on your Shapeoko, perhaps if you feel like you’d have the time to document your process of getting it up and working then we could arrange something :slight_smile:

I pre-ordered right away. This will work with the Z clearance of the Mk1, right?

1 Like

From our tests, yes :+1: the only thing to be mindful of is you may need to surface the wasteboard with the dust shoe bracket removed (if you have it) to allow the width for the track to be mounted. Also if you want the full 4" of cutting diameter then you’ll want to raise your router mount to the upper set of mounting holes

1 Like

Thanks @chrismakesstuff!

I do have the magnetic dust shoe bracket on my Mk1 30x30. I’ll remove it. Will you all explore new ways of mounting the vaccum then since I’ll have to add and remove my bracket as I transition from flat to rotary?

Router Braket is already set to the highest level. I created my own bracket for the Sienci 7w Laser. I have a home built roller rotary already. This info is helpful and will allow to prepare when the new Vortex arrives.

Laser Mount Adapter.stl (518.4 KB)
@ikenna.ofoha, in another thread I asked about the laser mount. I see in your Laser Live show that the one you were creating was attached on the left side of the router mount. I don’t have those holes in mine for the Mk1 Mill, so I just designed my own (attached) that works for me. Happy to send the Fusion / STEP file if you would like to have it (or anyone else reading this). warning, it’s a amatuers build process. So, it is what it is on how I made it. I am not a Fusion pro. LOL.

I think you’ll only need to take the bracket off when you do the initial flattening so the full length of the rotary track fits on your table, after that the bracket can go back one and the swapping between modes should be more seamless

1 Like