Wanna learn how to make big bowls?

If any of you guys are looking for a cool weekend project, I saw this video the other day on how to make amazingly big bowls on a CNC router. It’s well made and quite comedic :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@chrismakesstuff That’s a hoot. The process is one that I’ve used to make “dizzy” bowls - on a much, much smaller scale, of course. It was interesting to see how he did it. To date, I have been cutting out the rings with a scroll saw, then after gluing the rings together, turning the bowl to final shape on my lathe. I have thought of cutting the rings out on the LongMill, but it didn’t occur to me to finish it on the Mill, too. His skills with the CAM program are far greater than mine, but he has given me ideas.
Thanks for posting,Chris.

1 Like

His use of jigs in this video were honestly a little mind-blowing. I certainly wondered how he was going to cut the inside of the bowl after he’d already cut the outside, lo and behold another jig appeared!

@chrismakesstuff Yeah, that’s the part that I want to learn more about. Gluing even small ringed bowls is a pain. The rings want to slip and it’s tough to keep things centered. His first jig was pure genius! I will likely always turn them on my lathe, but if I can cut them out on the Mill and use a Mill-made jig to glue them up, it will make things go much quicker.

1 Like

Thats brilliant! I think I’ll use his technique to finish the bottoms of my bowls in the future, it’ll save having to remount them. I generally only make big bowls 18"+ diameter, currently I use a custom built Longworth chuck. But using the Longmill will be much quicker, I’ll just standardise the bowl base sizes and maybe 3 & 4 legged designs. Can also facture in a bit of inlay too. To be fair its faster to turn the bowls on my lathe than to cnc them. This will be fun and that motorised center cut out area just started making a lot more sense.

1 Like

That was hilarious! I think that bowl would hold enough potato chips to get me through a movie!
He is definitely a sharp cookie. Lots of good ideas in this that could be transferred to other projects.

1 Like