Wasteboard Clamping

Hey everyone. I am looking for advice/tips/info on getting a clamping system up and running on my Long Mill. I saw a bunch of you are using T Slots, but was wondering if anyone has developed or is using L-brackets/cam clamps. This video (https://youtu.be/RTthw9BU88I is my inspiration and want to get planning on this. I currently have my LongMill mounted to a 3/4" MDF 48x48 sheet and was thinking of just cutting another 3/4" piece to sit inside the cutting area. Thoughts? I want to add the holes in an array. Thoughts on distance of holes? Any insight would be great…what clamping system are you using?

1 Like

Ryan, the choice is a multiple answer. There are a dozen or more ways to anchor your material. The video you referenced has several that are good. As you can see in my picture I have several different ways as well. Depending on the project I’m working on I switch to different methods. The compression or side pressure clamps work great but only if your material is perfectly flat. If you notice I have some large and small dog holes. The smaller ones, some with pegs, are for my 90 degree material alignment. That is fixed. The larger ones are for side clamps. As you can also see I have T-track. I use that with both the cam clamps and the top pressure clamps. I have also tried double sided carpet tape that works ok but is expensive in the long run. One last method I just tried a few days ago is painters tape and super glue. It seemed to work ok and held well. Some people use hot glue. I don’t like that idea as it is difficult to get a level surface. Again as mentioned in the video you can brad nail or screw it down. The choice is yours as each method has its drawbacks and benefits. Good luck.

4 Likes

@Heyward43 I have to say, H, that your spoil board puts mine to shame. :upside_down_face:

I use blue tape and CA glue for small parts and it works very well. When using hot melt, I don’t put the glue on the underside of the piece. As you say, that makes it impossible to get things flat. I put the piece flat on the spoil board and run a fillet around the edges. It works well, too.

5 Likes

I will tell you that the treaded waste board is the route I went and love it. With cam clamps and L-brackets I can secure most anything. If you are working with a board that isn’t flat you’ll need to use some sort of clamp to hold it down if you want to force it flat.

They are so easy to make with your CNC that you don’t mind if one is in the way when it’s cutting things out and cuts into a clamp or L-bracket.

I went with 2" spacing on my holes and think it’s perfect as far as spacing. Just make your cam clamps larger so that you can cover the distance. Small ones are worthless.

1 Like

I think it makes the most sense to me…did you just use T Nuts?

Yes I used t-nuts. Take time to layout your grid.

I also posted a tutorial a while back in the projects section on how to do the wasteboad for t nuts. I had the project file for carbide included

If I remember when I am at the computer I’ll post a link if that’s helpful

Mike

2 sided carpet tape works awesome and no residew

thanks that would be great!

Painters tape and super glue. Cheaper than carpet tape in the long run. And also no residue. I have used both depending on the project and both are good. I also use cam clamps and pressure clamps again depending on project and condition of material. Except for the tapes all of my clamps are built for use with t-track and/or dog holes.

1 Like

Looks like you found the project, it is

I use painters tape and super glue too. Depends on the projects

Mike

Hi Heyward. I thought I had downloaded a file to cut out clamps like you have particularly the cam type clamps. Can you direct me to the place to get this file or can you send it to me?
Alex

@astro4000 - Here are dxf files. I used 3/4" pine. Small holes are 1/4". I had to adjust dimensions to fit my t-track spacing so just be aware.

Eccentric Clamps 8 pack.dxf (1.9 MB)

Eccentric Clamp Spacers.dxf (35.8 KB)

Got it
Thank you very much.

1 Like