Bit and depth cheatsheet/board

Do any of you have a cheatsheet/board that has the popular bits and depths? Im having a tough time deciding which to use on my projects without gong through alot of waste. Thanks in advance :relaxed:

First off welcome to the forums! I see from your other thread that you have a LongMill, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Sorry to say that I don’t have a cheat sheet/board to show you but you might find some examples of what different bits can do by looking at the projects section of the forum. Some are just pics but some projects have some details about the bits used.

Other than that don’t throw away any scraps/mistakes if they are big enough to clamp down and experiment on.

I can tell you that I use 3 types of bits for almost everything.

• End mills for pockets, profiles, and 3d roughing
  • Ball nosed for pockets (with curve where wall meets floor), chamfers, mouldings, and 3d stuff
  • V bits for lettering, 2D carving, and making miter joints.

If your looking for some projects might I suggest making some wooden clamps for your CNC. It really helps to have wooden clamps when make a mistake and run over one! I have some pics of some clamps in this thread.

2 Likes

Perfect! That helps tremendously!

@Manddcnc In terms of popular bits, a good starting point is to look at what’s for sale in the Sienci store.

You may be better off looking at feeds and speeds instead of depths. A good conservative depth setting is 1/2 the diameter of the bit per pass. Many go more aggressive. In time, you will learn what you like. There are many, many feeds and speeds charts available online. Again, you can start with the one on the Sienci website. Again, it is very conservative, but it will get you started. If you are using gSender, you can always increase the feed rate while the project is running. When you find what you like, make a note of it, or change the default setting in your tool database.

Have fun.

1 Like

Start with .06125" depth and 75-100 ipm (MK1 or 2) for a 0.250 end mill and ramp up from there.