Drilling holes with the cnc

can i use a regular 1/8" and 1/4" wood drill bit in my cnc router to drill 1/8" and 1/4" holes?

Hi @2Tall,

From what I have read, it’s not really recommended - I don’t remember the specifics, but I think it’s because the minimum speed of the router is still too fast and would cause burning. I think drill bit runout (wobble) might also be a factor.

That said, you could probably try it out and see the results you get.

What I do is use a smaller bit (1/8 when I need anything bigger than 1/8, 1/16 if I need to bore 1/8) and “bore” the holes. The nice thing there is you can bore any size you like in that case, as well.

Others may have tried it out - maybe someone else can give their experience?

Let us know how it goes.

3 Likes

I have “marked” my location with my v bit while doing my carve then drilled it with my cordless drill before. Worked well for what I was attempting to do.

1 Like

The other problem with a drill bit is the plunge speed is not programable. Along with the speed of the bit spin. I second the 1/8th or 1/16th up cut bits. That would be the best way to cut what you need.

1 Like

@2Tall If you using vcarve for your work, a good way to drill holes is to use a spiral ramp on a profile toolpath inside the line. This works best if the hole is bigger than the end mill you are using, of course.

1 Like

thank you elbarsal.
makes sense

thank you gwilki for to quick response.

thank you GregsReinventions this makes sense.
thank you for the feed back

1 Like