Dust collection

Hi,

I was looking into the dust collection portion of my system. I’m thinking of using a Ridgid vacuum (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-15-l-5-peak-hp-portable-wet-dry-vacuum-with-storage/1000527616).

With a Hepa filter (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-hepa-material-filter-for-11-to-17-l-3-to-4-5-gal-wet-dry-vacuums/1000861170).

What are you using/thinking of using? Do you think Hepa is required?

Get a separator and you won’t need a hepa. The separator works great.

Not really required. Expensive filters. Use a small cyclone unit. Will pay for itself in saved hepa filter cost. $54US for Dust Devil. $5US for 5 gallon bucket with lid. One time cost. That’s cheaper than 2 hepa filters. Will keep your Rigid vacuum filter pretty clean.

I have a small dust deputy and I still haven’t emptied it.

I just bought one but need LongMill to use it. LOL. Gotta be getting close.

The dust separator is interesting, I’ll look into it. Thanks!

I looked at that one, but the one thing that moved me to another ridgid vacuum was the size of the hose.

• 1-7/8 inch x 7 ft. Locking Hose

I got this one (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-nxt-60-l-16-gal-6-0-peak-hp-wet-dry-vacuum-with-bonus-backpack-cooler/1001331547?rec=true) and the hose fits the dust collection port. They didn’t have an open box for the compact one to see if the hose fit the dust collection attachment the one I got was only $10 more but not as compact.

How do you plan to attach the vacuum hose to the dust shoe? The dust shoe is compatible with standard 2-inch and 1.25-inch Shop-Vac hoses.

I think the updated dust shoe design uses a 2.5" hose (common on larger shop vac machines). I was discussing it with @chrismakesstuff in this thread Req Dust Shoe Details and he didn’t correct me. Just wanted to catch that in case someone referred to this thread and planned based on 2 instead of 2.5". I’m not sure if the product page is updated yet. [EDIT] Well the plot thickens and I apologize if my info is incorrect, the product page does say 1.25" and 2", so now I’m confused and off to double check my hoses.

-Jeff

Oh my, I’d better fix the issue with the product page… :open_mouth: The dust shoe is designed for 1.5", 2", & 2 1/8" hoses instead of the smaller port on the older design, I double checked the measurements yesterday. Could probably work with a 2.5" hose too if you wrap some tape around the adapter. @jwoody18 is there anywhere else that you’ve seen different info? There might’ve been a miscommunication between myself and Andy

EDIT: I fixed the shop page but also I think I’m a little tired because I’m not sure how you could adapt 2 1/8" to 2.5" with “a little tape” :thinking:

Looks like it might be an inside/outside diameter issue. Which is referred to in the specs on the product page?

-Jeff

The outside of the hose port is tapered to accept hose in the range of 2" and slightly above, meanwhile the inside of the port is made to accept a 1.5“ hose. When using the 1.25" shop vac hose, we twist the 1.5" hose onto it then push it into the adapter, I suppose you could get away with using some tape there too

I just measured the vacuum hose on the Ridgid I linked above and it is 2 1/8" inner diameter and 2 1/4" outer diameter for their hose that is listed on the page as a 2 1/2".

I really enjoy all this ‘Standard’ sizing, as I thought it was designed for the 2.5" hose because that is what was listed on the product page for the vacuum I bought.

This is exactly what bit me. My measurements on my Ridgid, I think it’s an HD1200, match yours. Sounds like they should fit over the fitting on the dust shoes shipping now with the Longmill. Phew… I definitely prefer the quieter and more powerful 2 & whatever it is hose. :slight_smile:

-Jeff

Yeah the world of hoses is really wierd. If the inner Dia is 2 1/8" then it’ll fit the dust shoe just fine though :+1:

Thats the problem I wanted to find some plumbing pipe to attach to my vacuum home no bueno. Nothing would fit the scum bags. Nothing with vacuums in standard at all. its very frustrating.