Dust collection

Get a separator and you wonā€™t need a hepa. The separator works great.

Not really required. Expensive filters. Use a small cyclone unit. Will pay for itself in saved hepa filter cost. $54US for Dust Devil. $5US for 5 gallon bucket with lid. One time cost. Thatā€™s cheaper than 2 hepa filters. Will keep your Rigid vacuum filter pretty clean.

I have a small dust deputy and I still havenā€™t emptied it.

I just bought one but need LongMill to use it. LOL. Gotta be getting close.

The dust separator is interesting, Iā€™ll look into it. Thanks!

I looked at that one, but the one thing that moved me to another ridgid vacuum was the size of the hose.

• 1-7/8 inch x 7 ft. Locking Hose

I got this one (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-nxt-60-l-16-gal-6-0-peak-hp-wet-dry-vacuum-with-bonus-backpack-cooler/1001331547?rec=true) and the hose fits the dust collection port. They didnā€™t have an open box for the compact one to see if the hose fit the dust collection attachment the one I got was only $10 more but not as compact.

How do you plan to attach the vacuum hose to the dust shoe? The dust shoe is compatible with standard 2-inch and 1.25-inch Shop-Vac hoses.

I think the updated dust shoe design uses a 2.5" hose (common on larger shop vac machines). I was discussing it with @chrismakesstuff in this thread Req Dust Shoe Details and he didnā€™t correct me. Just wanted to catch that in case someone referred to this thread and planned based on 2 instead of 2.5". Iā€™m not sure if the product page is updated yet. [EDIT] Well the plot thickens and I apologize if my info is incorrect, the product page does say 1.25" and 2", so now Iā€™m confused and off to double check my hoses.

-Jeff

Oh my, Iā€™d better fix the issue with the product pageā€¦ :open_mouth: The dust shoe is designed for 1.5", 2", & 2 1/8" hoses instead of the smaller port on the older design, I double checked the measurements yesterday. Could probably work with a 2.5" hose too if you wrap some tape around the adapter. @jwoody18 is there anywhere else that youā€™ve seen different info? There mightā€™ve been a miscommunication between myself and Andy

EDIT: I fixed the shop page but also I think Iā€™m a little tired because Iā€™m not sure how you could adapt 2 1/8" to 2.5" with ā€œa little tapeā€ :thinking:

Looks like it might be an inside/outside diameter issue. Which is referred to in the specs on the product page?

-Jeff

The outside of the hose port is tapered to accept hose in the range of 2" and slightly above, meanwhile the inside of the port is made to accept a 1.5ā€œ hose. When using the 1.25" shop vac hose, we twist the 1.5" hose onto it then push it into the adapter, I suppose you could get away with using some tape there too

I just measured the vacuum hose on the Ridgid I linked above and it is 2 1/8" inner diameter and 2 1/4" outer diameter for their hose that is listed on the page as a 2 1/2".

I really enjoy all this ā€˜Standardā€™ sizing, as I thought it was designed for the 2.5" hose because that is what was listed on the product page for the vacuum I bought.

This is exactly what bit me. My measurements on my Ridgid, I think itā€™s an HD1200, match yours. Sounds like they should fit over the fitting on the dust shoes shipping now with the Longmill. Phewā€¦ I definitely prefer the quieter and more powerful 2 & whatever it is hose. :slight_smile:

-Jeff

Yeah the world of hoses is really wierd. If the inner Dia is 2 1/8" then itā€™ll fit the dust shoe just fine though :+1:

Thats the problem I wanted to find some plumbing pipe to attach to my vacuum home no bueno. Nothing would fit the scum bags. Nothing with vacuums in standard at all. its very frustrating.

So, before I had the CNC machine, I had a very simple dust extractor setup using my Shop Vac, 2" pipping and some 3D printed blast gates, a 5 gallon bucket and a Dustopper from Home Depot. You can obviously make your own blast gates from plywood. Iā€™ve recently ā€œupgradedā€ this system. The original system used a 5 gallon as the main way to capture the dust. I can fill it up pretty quickly with the CNC machine, Miter saw, and general dust pickup. I decided on ā€œupgradingā€ the bucket and used a 12" concrete form tube from Lowes as the catch basin. I CNC cut a ring out of 1/2" MDF as the base. Screwed it in, then siliconed both the inside and outside of the ring. Next I measured and cut the height of how tall the tube needed to be to accept where the outlet pvc pipe was at.Next I cut the bottom off an old 5 gallon bucket I had laying around that already had holes in it. Popped the bucket in and epoxied and siliconed it in to place. Waited a day for everything to dry. Put the Dustopper on. The connections from the Dustopper to the 2" pvc pipe was easy. I had a few rubber 2"x2" PVC couplers that fit PERFECTLY over the Dustopper and 2" PVC pipe. I originally was going to put a trash bag in there to make it easy to dispose of, however it kept getting sucked up and blocked the Dustopper. Probably could weigh it down, but wasnā€™t worth it, IMO. Works just as before, just with more storage space for dust. Shouldnā€™t be empting it as often now! Pictures below to show my setup.

1 Like

a new use for sonotube, nice

1 Like

I like the sonotube tube too!
If you have a heat gun, you can heat up the pvc and make the vac hose fit. Made a connection to my router table that way.

1 Like

Why didnā€™t I think of that? Instead I printed an adapter for my dust separator. I built a dust separator using the video in this post of mine.

I would recommend a dust separator for anyone who doesnā€™t have one and uses a shop vac. Has paid for itself in vacuum bags saved. Iā€™m in my second year of LongMill ownership and on my second vacuum bag!

1 Like

@_Michael Takes a while to heat it up and it does shrink back a lot so I put a clamp on the second one with a plug I printed. Yep, you can stretch and taper pvc with a heat gun (safe) or a propane torch, not safe and didnā€™t work as well.
I did print 90 and horizontal adapters for both of my dust deputies with PETG. I can post the stl files if anyone is interested.
The only stuff that seems to get through the separator is very fine sanding dust.