First cuts not without issues

So I got my machine yesterday and got it built without issue, untill I opend g sender to be able to do some test runs. It woul sometims give a comm error, sometimes it would connect, the box in the visualier would show idle. The blue jog buttons were available but when pressed nothing would happen, the visualiser box would show jogging but nothing would move. After a few frustrating hours I gave up. Started again this morning same issues. Checked all wiring and connections. Took apart the longboard everthing was seated fine. Put it back together and everthing worked for a while. Setup to do surfaceing, its a 48 30, and when started the first pass was more like a 30 30 size the second an subsequent passes were correct. Got to about half way through the job and it stopped. The visualiser showed idle, I was going through various screens in gsender trying to find an issue when it just started back up and finished the job. I played around connectin and dsconnecting, jogging all axis all without issue so I decided to try doing a.sign for the wifes sewing room. The job ran fine with no issue. The toolng returned to the correct zero position and stopped when I tried to jog it out of the way nothing worked pressing any jog button would bring up the jogging caption but no motor movement and I was never able to get it goiing again. I am running a stand alone laptop not connected to the internet. I am confident my comm ports are good. So I am down to the cable from laptop to longboard, the arduino board, or corrupt gsender. I do not think g sender is the issue but would welcome any advise. Perhaps I am missing something.

Mick

I don’t have anything to add to fixing your issue as it seems like you are on the right track swapping the cable and going from there. I just wanted say that I like the sign!

Appreciate it Michael. Just shows when it works it does OK? Cable is top on my list would be nice to know if there is a way to check if the longboard controller is getting communications from the laptop.

Mick

@Mickus One thing to check is the windows power settings. Laptops, in particular, are notorious for turning things off to save power. Be sure to kill any setting that turns off the power to the USB ports. This includes in the power settings and the USB port settings in device manager. Don’t let the laptop hibernate or sleep either.

3 Likes

Thanks gwilki, I should have mentioned that I had already set to never sleep. However the issue is solved, I replaced the cable with one from my desktop printer and everytthing works great now except the printer. This is my second try that went smoothly and is now ready for paint

Mick

3 Likes

Beautiful :star_struck: :+1:t2: looks great

Thanks Parkey, the final result was not as intended. I had painted the blue and red prior to carving, used oramask, then sprayed white. Unfotunately the white paint paint I used was an old can of car paint, Duplicolor I think, and it had a reaction with the oramask made it about impossible to remove. I ended up throwing it on the burn pile. Lesson learned.

1 Like