Gsender 1.0.0 Z zero

@NeilFerreri @_Michael Interesting, guys. I’ll get back to it a little later this morning, but I was able to reproduce the problem 4 times in a row. As to the longboard version, I tested with an arduino that I have for this purpose. I flashed it fresh using gSender and then reset to Sienci defaults, as set out in the instructions on the Sienci site.

Later today, I’ll try the same thing on my Mill downstairs. I’ll also try setting XYZ0 both ways. I didn’t do either in my test. I simply fired up gSender and the arduino. At that point, all axes were at 0. I jogged X, then Z. I clicked on “go to X0” and gSender issued both a G0X0 command and a G0Z0 command. Then, while all axes were at 0 again, I jogged Y and Z. I clicked on “go to Y0” and gSender issued a G0Y0 command and a G0Z0 command. At no time did I click on “go to Z0”.
I did this test 4 times, each time after closing and re-starting gSender.

I’m not really set up to record movies, but if I can continue to reproduce the bug, I’ll try to record my actions.

1 Like

@gwilki I tried again after disabling homing, hard and soft limits so the machine would be at (0, 0, 0) when Gsender opened. I then powered off the Longboard, and pulled the usb to power off the Arduino. Then with a clean start I jogged the X and then the Z, clicked ‘go to X zero’ and console shows G0 X0 only.

@_Michael Interesting, Michael. I don’t have limit/homing switches installed, so all eeprom settings are default. I duplicated the problem on my test board 3 times this morning. I’m setting up to take a video so that all can see exactly what I am doing, and maybe point out my error(s). I hope to get to the Mill later this morning and test there, too.

1 Like

@_Michael @NeilFerreri Well, I just left the shop and I can reproduce the problem every time on my Long Mill. Interesting, though, when I jog XY and Z, then click on “go to XY0”, it does just that. It does not zero out Z.
There is really nothing more that I can do. At some point, I’m sure the Sienci gurus will get involved. It is happening on two different computers,with two different boards and two separate installations of gSender 1.0.0.
@saskia I guess all you can do in the meantime, Stewart, is to make sure that there are no obstacles in the path when you click on either “go to X0” or “go to Y0”. That, and make sure that you have a safe jogging height set in gSender.

1 Like

@gwilki Did you have a safe height set when you did this? I did not, but I tried everything else to replicate the behavior you’re seeing and I couldn’t.

@NeilFerreri I do have a safe height set. I went down for some further testing. gSender has a default key shortcut of shift+S to go to X0. I tried it and the Mill did go to X0 and did not go to Z0 as well. Likewise, shift_D did move the mill to Y0 and did not go to Z0 as well.

Does it do the same thing without a safe height set (0)?

1 Like

@NeilFerreri Damn, you’re good. :grinning:
When I set safe height to 0, all is well. Clearly, this should not be the solution, but it may help the Sienci techs to resolve it.
@saskia Stewart. Neil has found something of a work around, if you want to use it. I don’t like having no safe height, so I won’t be setting mine to 0.

Sounds like you guys figured it out. My safe height is 0 in Gsender, actually never noticed that you could set it in Gsender. I set mine in the CAM software.

@_Michael I can take absolutely no credit for solving this mystery, Michael. This was all Neil’s doing. I still have no idea why the safe height setting would have any part of the problem. I do believe that it needs fixing, though.

I have had the same thing happen to me with the gSender safe height since one of the .7 versionss.

I had been using the safe height in Vcarve. But tried the safe height in gSender when I saw it had one. I was getting all kinds of weird things with the Z. Almost seems like the safe heights are getting added together, gSender plus vcarve, but I can’t be sure.

I reset gSender to zero safe height and problem went away. I only use the settings in Vcarve.

I agree with Grant that this probably needs some attention from Sienci.

We have some fixes for this in the next release - Z movement down from the safe height should be relative to the current position and move down the same amount it moved up. Let us know if it looks better on your end, and thanks for the discussion!

2 Likes