gSender 6.8 not completing Homing Cycle SOMETIMES

Ok, So your going to think I am nuts, and full of it.
But I got it on video, so I figure I am going to report it.

I cant say this enough, I have seen this happen 4 times out of the 10 times I have tried it. I can answer questions, but I dont know what triggers it.

I am running default Homing on my Rig ($23=1) however, I was able to reproduce the problem manually.

Basically, I am seeing, my Longmill, Homing the Z, then Start Homing the X , the Y Axis DOES NOT MOVE AT ALL but the X and Y should move during Homing.

Then when the X switch is trigger, the System Errors. and an ALERT is given.

THE ONLY fix I have seen work, is to just keep retrying.

https://youtu.be/BL84c0AWuY8

***** I have seen this behavior start when gSender first launches, however, I am reproducing the problem with a $h

In the video, You will see, that:

• I issue a $h command. (00:13)
  • The Z Axis homes as excepted (I can NOT confirm this happens every time) (00:25)
  • The X axis starts to Jog , Important to note, that the Y is not moving at all at this point (00:28)
  • The X hits the limit switch, it should bounce back 10mm (my settings are set this way) and then do a Slow jog back to zero (00:31)
  • however the environment errors out. (00:40)

I tried to figure out how to make it do it, but I cant, after trying to $h a few more times, it starts working and all is good.

I went out into the shop to re-test it after being off for 4-5 hours, and it worked just as expected.

I have experienced this 10-20 times in the last 4 days?

I dont belive I have seen this behavior in 6.5 , I didnt have 6.6 installed very long. I have seen it in 6.7 and 6.8

I am out of town after 1pm Friday, if there is a Log or something I can provide please ask asap.

back on Sunday around 5pm

This sounds like a wiring issue with the Y switch.
Can you send a ? through the console and report the response?

I am not saying its NOT a wiring issue, because frankly I dont know what it would be, so I am open to it.

However, I can move the head in any direction, and when I home, the Z moves, the X moves, but will stop once the X switch is trigger, and the Y axis never moves.

So, once I clear the error, all of the Axis move as expected with the jog controls.

so, I would be ok with a wiring issue, my question is::

if the $h command is supposed to:
1 - Home the Z axis,
2 - Then Starts moving the X and Y to zero,
3 - Then when the first switch is hit on either axis, that axis Stops,
4 - The other Axis continues to Zero and then Stops,
5 - then the X axis starts to do the Slow jog to zero.
6 - then the y axis starts to do the Slow jog to zero.

What condition would be, that the Y axis doesnā€™t move, and the X axis limit switches stops moving on the first trigger.

I cant think of a condition that would cause this.

I am open to ideaā€™s

as well, it randomly works too, so its possible its a connection issue, I dont know enough of the environment to be able to troubleshoot at that level

Your Y switch is in an active state (thinks itā€™s pressed). The reason homing falls is because it fails to clear when it retracts.
Wiring issue, bad switch, or some sort of EMI.
Send the ? before you homeā€¦I bet youā€™ll see Pn:Y

The homing action happens on the grbl controllerā€¦gSender has nothing to do with it once it passes on the $H command.

1 Like

Ok I will give it a shot the next time I see it.

I remember someone saying somewhere there is a command to constantly echo out the state every second.

By chance anyone have it handy?

Okay so using your information I had a chance to test but you were suggesting

And it looks like if I hold the y button when I do the homing action it reproduces the scenario that Iā€™m experiencing

Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s the problem because I havenā€™t been able to reproduce it by itself.

So for the time being Iā€™m going to assume as you suggested the wire switch is stuck on until I can prove otherwise

Thanks a bunch makes sense now

1 Like

Hello!
I have totally same problem after 6.8 update and I couldnā€™t solve it. I canceled the home switching sensor connections and reset my board. Now I am not able you use this function. :frowning:

If you a ? In the console window, and the copy paste everything reported here. It will help

@Menglor Did you do that yet? Did yours show the Y switch triggered?

@NeilFerreri

I have been at the cottage a few days , I havenā€™t been able to do any testing

Ah, a nice break from tracking down CNC problems.

@Ozzo @Menglor Iā€™d agree with @NeilFerreri that this is likely a wiring issue. If the y-axis doesnā€™t move during homing and errors out at the end itā€™s normally because the CNC thinks the y-limit is already being pressed and then errors out when it goes to back off and it doesnā€™t see the switch get depressed.

Did you guys check out the response on ā€˜?ā€™

Yes it was a wiring issue.

Close bug

1 Like