gSender Release 1.2.0 - file loading issues

I have the same exact issue. I have a Windows 10 computer. Version 1.1.7 worked perfectly. I unistalled 1.2.0 and reinstalled 1.1.7. Now I only get the splash screen when I try to start 1.1.7. Ugh!

@WoodCarver @BruceS @Mickus I have moved your posts to an existing topic, reporting the same issue.

1 Like

For those having trouble rolling back to 1.7 it might be worth a shot to delete or rename C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\gSender as that folder has the preferences and stuff. Maybe something has changed that prevents the older version from loading. You might have to reinstall gSender to get it to create the folder again Iā€™m not sure.

EDIT: AppData is a hidden folder by default in windows, you will have to enable ā€˜show hidden files and foldersā€™ in File Explorer options or type the path into the address bar to get there.

I am connected to the internet, and I am unable to load previous versions of gsender (They do not load when started)

Iā€™m having the same issue. Downloaded and installed 1.2.0 and had several issues. One, it didnā€™t recognize my generic xbox controller, and when I tried running a job Iā€™ve run several times before it stopped with an error. Unfortunately, I didnā€™t save the error code it displayed.
Then I uninstalled 1.2.0 and reinstalled 1.1.7, and it just sits at the splash screen. Iā€™m dead in the water at this point.

@gwilki grant did you look at the gcode I uploaded earlier?

Ok gang. I tried a different approach. I first uninstalled 1.2.0. Then I deleted the gSender folder (it was empty) from the Program Files folder. Then I went into the C,Users,your name,Appdata,Roaming folder and renamed the gSender folder. I then reinstalled 1.2.0 and everything appears to work. I loaded 4 different files and made test runs on all of them. It also appears that it picked up the firmware settings from the Arduino Uno. Of course I forgot to export my other settings so missing my shortcuts and a couple of other things.

So, in my estimation, there is something different in the .json settings file or another file that is causing some issues. I looked through both the old 1.1.7 one and the new 1.2.0 one and the only difference I noticed right off the bat is the ā€œMachine Profileā€. The 1.1.7 version points to a MK1 and the 1.2.0 version points to a MK2. I donā€™t know how this all works so it may not mean anything.

So Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s a starting point for Sienci to research.

I anyone wants to try this approach then do the following. If you havenā€™t removed the gSender folder from the Appdata,Roaming folder start up 1.2.0. Export your firmware settings and your (gear) settings to another folder of your choice. Shutdown gSender. Go to windows settings and uninstall 1.2.0. When complete go into C,Program Files and delete the gSender folder (it should be empty). Then go into the C,Users,your name,Appdata,Roaming folder and rename the gSender folder to something you can remember (I just added a capital G) to the beginning (GgSender). Then reinstall 1.2.0. This will create a new Appdata folder with default gSender settings. It should work now with default settings, at least it did for me. I havenā€™t tried to import previous settings so donā€™t know if that will cause any issues or not. I will experiment on my production cnc tomorrow and post when done.

This may also be part of the problem with users trying to backtrack to 1.1.7. Just guessing itā€™s possible something is getting changed in the Appdata folder hosing things up.

Hope this gives all a work around for the time being.

1 Like

@Mickus I did look at it and I ran it in ncviewer. It runs fine. LIne 30 is just a repeat of the pattern that it is running before and after that line, so I have no idea why it through an error.

Thanks @Heyward43, Iā€™ll give that a try this morning. Last night I got mine to work by doing the following (convoluted) steps:

CNC turned off, boot program - says connected (even though it canā€™t be) . Load file, nothing happens.
Disconnect (even though itā€™s not really connected), then load file and it loads successfully.
Turn on CNC and try to connect and it wouldnā€™t connect on the usual COM3. I repeated the above (CNC off, close program, ā€˜disconnectā€™, load file) and after the file loaded I connected again, but to a different port, COM 4). It didnā€™t connect, so I went through the whole process again, connecting on the correct COM3 this time. It connected and I was able to outline then run the job (thank goodness, I had to get this one out the door).

One small thing I noticed is that the job paused itself a few times on the first carve (I carved it twice since it was a paying project, on scrap and then on the customerā€™s board). The second time it didnā€™t. I wasnā€™t near the laptop when it paused, although I do leave the cursor over the pause buttonā€¦just in case.

@gwilki, thanks Grant. I did not see any issues with the code or any of the other 6 files that I was getting errors from but just wanted a second opinion. I will revert back to 1.1.7 and revisit 1.2 at a later date.

@Mickus I just ran it on my test pc in 1.2.0. It threw error code 24 on line 30. I hit resume and the file continued but froze at 98% complete. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with line 30. And, Iā€™ve never had a freeze on the test machine, since it is just gS connected to a bare Uno.

Then, I ran the same file in Edge 1.2.5. It completed in 3:35, with no errors. I donā€™t have 1.1.7 loaded on anything now, so I canā€™t try it that way. I expect that it will run fine, from what others are reporting.

I have no idea what to tell you, Michael. This is beyond my comprehension.

I expect that the gurus at Sienci will be hard at work on this tomorrow.

2 Likes

@gwilki, Grant I am left wondering why some are having issues with 1.2 and others are not, is there a commonality? I have experienced every issue in this thread. Yesterday I reran all the files that I had issues with earlier in the day. For each file i ran the test run function and there were no issues detected I then ran the files and would get errors, after getting an error I would run the file again from the beginning. Sometimes the file would run fine other times I would get an error but at a different line than previous. So I am left wondering if it is an issue with g sender why are only some having issues and not all. Or is the root cause something else.

@Mickus I believe that will be the problem for Sienci. I installed 1.2.0 on both my test and my live machine. In each case, I uninstalled 1.1.7 first. That has been my practice since day 1. I do not delete any of the configuration files.
I had no issues with 1.2.0 loading jobs and running them.
So, Iā€™m left with the same question as you. What is the commonality? I would love to be able to say to Sienci that the reports here clearly show what is causing the problem. I cannot.
I will repeat. Each of my PCā€™s is running windows 10 22H2 professional. The machines are both updated up to and including the May updates. I have not yet done the June updates, as I know there are some glitches in them. I always hold off until they are cleared by a MS guru that I follow.
My test machine is nothing more than an Uno flashed with the same eeprom settings as my live machine connected to the LM controller.

@gwilki. Grant the more I thought about the issue the more convinced I was that G Sender was not the root cause. I deleted 1.2 and reinstalled 1.17 again this am, this time 1.17 froze on the opening screen as though it was waiting for something. As I have little on my laptop I went ahead and did a complete restore back to factory settings and reloaded windowā€™s. I then reloaded version 1.2 then went to the workshop and ran all the files that would not run correctly yesterday. Everything ran fine. So for me it was a windows issue causing the problems. Whether that is true for others, which I suspect it is, I cannot say, but my issues are fixed at this time.

1 Like

Pretty much the same situation for me .unloaded V1.2, backed it out and deleted the roaming directory and all references I could find in the windows registry, and tried to get V1.7 running again, but canā€™t get past the splash screen.

Fortunately I have a copy of the edge version on a machine which has not had Windows or Gender updates so I am not fully out of business!

I had a chance to try the complete uninstall, deleted the folders as you suggested and 1.2.0 seems to work for me know. Had a family gathering last night, so I couldnā€™t test carve anything, but files loaded, machine connected and outline ran.

Hey folks,

Weā€™re taking a look at this ASAP to see whatā€™s going on for some people and not others.

In the mean time, if you want to revert to 1.1.7, youā€™ll need to rename your .sender_rc file - you can find it in C:/Users/{your user name}/.sender_rc - if you rename this, 1.1.7 should not hang on the splash.

If you want to help us narrow down whatā€™s happening, diagnostic files would be helpful - ā€œloadā€ a file even if itā€™s not appearing in the visualizer for you, go to Calibrate > Diagnostics > Download Now in the bottom right, and share it.

Weā€™ll let you know when we have a solution.

1 Like

Just downloaded log for this issue. Running 1.2.0 with original (pre 1.2.0 folder) wonā€™t load project.

1.2.0 with original Appdata gSender folder - load failed.
diagnostics_6-19-2023_12-20-57.pdf (8.3 KB)

1.2.0 with new default Appdata gSender folder - load worked.
diagnostics_6-19-2023_12-30-36.pdf (240.5 KB)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this - if you have time to do two more things thatā€™d be super helpful:

1. rename (donā€™t delete, we might want it) the non-working installations preferences file (C:/Users/{your username}/AppData/Roaming/gSender/gsender-0.5.6.json to something else (like old_gsender-0.5.6.json) and see if the installation works/loads as expected

2. If it does, share the file.

Weā€™re trying to narrow down if the problem was with the update itself (IE Electron itself) or a data migration (the preferences) or a specific setting since itā€™s working for some and not others.

Thanks for the diagnostic file, itā€™s very helpful in narrowing down where in the load process itā€™s failing.

Kevin

Edited previous post and added both working and non-working log files. Old preferences file does not work. New (default) preferences file works as expected.