Laminate or hardwood Floor material for CNC carving

Did anyone use Laminate floor material for carving or any cnc project. Most of the laminate build on MDF and upper coating is not more than 2-9 MM.

Thanks,

H

@Hamdan I didn’t reply to this sooner as I have never tried to do anything on laminate flooring. I have carved on oak flooring. The laminate flooring that I have installed is quite thin. You can do v carving in it, I suppose. You mention laminate with an mdf core. I’ve done a lot of carving in mdf and melamine covered mdf. It mills fine. Terrible dust and it dulls bits very quickly, as the glue is very abrasive, but it does mill well. Some laminate flooring uses pvc core and other flooring uses vinyl. You can carve all of them. I guess it’s stating the obvious to say “run tests”.

Laminate flooring has a protective layer imbedded with aluminum oxide to resist scratching. It will dull tools. The material looks like mdf but except for the chep stuff it is much stronger due to the adhesives used to bond it. From what i have read online it really isn’t ideal.

2 Likes

My experience with laminate flooring was with some Bamboo. It absolutely killed my planer & Jointer knives and took a tooth off a diablo 10" blade. I know the Longmill could handle it but, your bits won’t. Just my thoughts