Laser not cutting

Why did Sienci decide to go with such a weak laser when there are so many more powerful options. Was it a cost thing? I’m finding 7w is just inadequate.

Problems with the control system?

@Dallas I can’t speak to why Sienci went with the power that they did. I can say definitely, though, that the published power rating of the majority of the diode lasers available as add-on modules are greatly exaggerated. Many publish power consumption and not output. (The "5w generic Chinese lasers, for example.) Others say that their laser is a 10w, when that is peak output for short intervals, not continued output. Finally, some of the rated 10w lasers truly do achieve that output. However, they do it by over driving the diode, resulting in a short lifespan. (LED flashlight makers do the same, just as a matter of interest.)

From what I have read in Ikenna’s posts, the rating of the Sienci laser is an honest rating at continuous output. He may want to jump in here to explain better than I can.

WRT to your foam core issue, as I offered before, I will scare up a scrap and see what I can see about power and speed and post it here.

In the meantime, can you post as to what your results are for 3mm wood?

1 Like

I have the sienci laser and have absolutely no problem with the power. If anything it burns too deep. It could be you need to update lightburn if you are using that

1 Like

@Dallas I finally scared up some 1/8" foam core, painted it black and tried to burn through it. Now, I have an advertised 10w laser using a G8 lens from Sienci. I do not have air assist. With this setup, it was virtually impossible to cut through the foam core. I tried several power and speed levels and changed the number of passes. At one point, I set fire to the surface of the material, and it still did not cut through. I can only conclude that something in this material is resistant to the laser. (I can cut 1/8" basswood with no problem.)

So, I would suggest that if you have a lot of this to cut, you have two options. Use a 1/16" downcut end mill. I tried that can got very clean cuts. You could go even finer, but some of the very fine bits that I have break if you look at them sideways. Or, use a drag knife. There are a few designs on this forum if you want to go DIY. If not, there are many commercially-available ones online.

Grant,

Thank you for the feedback. I will work on getting some thin plywood and testing the laser with that. You mentioned basswood. Do you recommend anything else? I know Home Depot has 5 mm underlayment that is relatively inexpensive.

I have the lens that came with the laser and just bought the g8. Can you share the difference in your experience?

Thank you.
Dallas

@Dallas 5mm will be pushing a diode laser, Dallas. I doubt that you will get any joy trying to cut that. Nothing to lose by trying, though. I had some bass wood lying around. Locally, I can also buy birch plywood in 3mm. I can also buy 1/8" mdf. It cuts well, but scorches easily. It may work well with an air assist, but I don’t have that to try. If you do try that, make sure that you have good smoke extraction. The fumes are nasty owing to the resins used. (Smoke extraction should be used for any burning.)

As far as lenses, the G8 is not the best for cutting, as I understand it. I just used that for this test, as I was installed and I was too lazy to change it out. I believe that the G2 that comes with the Sienci laser is your best bet for cutting. I don’t have the lens.

1 Like

Where do you get the basswood and/or plywood? I would like to try it.

@Dallas I get it locally here in Ottawa Canada. Both are available on Amazon.com in craft-sized pieces. If you have not already done so, look on the LAHobby Guy’s forum. Among other things, he has lots of free calibration files to download. He uses basswood a lot.

https://lahobbyguy.com/bb/

1 Like

There was a wonderful review and communication string written by the team when they were investigating the possibility of a laser add-on. You may want to search back for those updates if you are interested in the ‘Why’. They delve into the variability of strength from the 10+ W chinese lasers and such.

1 Like

Greetings Dallas, I hope all is well with you. As a Stationary Engineer CF myself I have some experience with various foam materials. Many have a flame/fire retardant blended into the chemical makeup of the finished foam product. Also not all foams are equal.

This being stated you are applying heat/flame via a tight beam laser and the chemical reaction may be thwarting your efforts to laser cut aka burn through the material. Some foams as they heat up liquify this maybe happening when you are trying to cut through the material. Just dome food for thought. And as a safety note check the MSDS (material safety data sheet) the chemical release may be very harmful to breath and some fumes themselves maybe flammable. Be safe in your endeavors.

having same issue did you get it figured out?

1 Like