Something that you should understand. What I’ve done here is done for my workflow and my machine. If you attempt to use what I provide here, you must be responsible for making adjustments that work for your machine.
The best place to start is at the beginning, and I hope you don’t mind how verbose this story is.
I found myself going through this repeating dance between putting in a bit, moving to the zero block, moving off-table to adjust my zero for the thickness of tape & CA glue holding my project to the wasteboard and going back to my project’s XYzero to start the cutting.
DING! That’s why macros exist! (That voice in my head said, “Why’d it take you so long?” )
I cludged together some gcode and found something that worked … only I was never really happy with it. So, the OP on this thread gave me the incentive to rework my macros. In addition, I’ve found my workflow extending to other parts of my wasteboard using most of the other defined Workspaces - P1 - P6. I generally have fixtures for different products spaced around my machine where each one is defined within a Workspace.
I’m still not happy with the results in at least one area, but more on that later. My workflow on lots of projects is similar to the way I described it above:
- Home the machine
- Load my Workspace coordinates
- Move to the desired Workspace’s XY
- Prepare the part and the bit to use
- Move to a fixed machine zero reference point
- Perform the Z-Zero procedure
- Move off-table (for bit clearance)
- Go to Z-Zero
- Jog the Z up by 0.010" (two tapes & CA glue)
- Zero Z at this new position
- Move the bit up for clamp clearance
- Go to XY0 in my current Workspace
- Start the job
And all of that has to be aware of what Workspace I’m using which I keep track of (most of the time), but a macro has to have a programatic way to do the same.
I did make you aware of the verbosity in this post!
So, this ended up being three different macros for my workflow. The first one handles loading Workspace coordinates. (This one started while I was transitioning from Carbide’s CM sender. It irrationally resets some coordinates as it is closing that gave me problems until someone on this forum set me straight.)
The second macro moves the bit into the area where I do Z-zero with a block. The third macro is the one that actually makes the Z adjustment for tape and glue.
Each one of the macros will save the current Workspace address, do what it does and return to the saved address. Each macro is heavily commented, but I remove all comments when I install it into gSender. I’ll provide the text of each macro inline, but I will also attach the text files.
The next post explains some of the problems I encountered and discusses improvements.
After that, there are 3 posts with the gcode for a macro, and the downloadable text for that macro.
If you notice a way to improve something, that won’t make me mad even a leetle bit! Please quote something out of the post you have a response to so it will be easy to keep up with them.