Making overrides available before job start

And that is one of my peeves about gSender. Granted, its a minor irritation.

Sometimes, without knowing how a cut is going to turn out, I would like to start at a lower feed rate. My gcode is already loaded and ready to cut with the “calculated” feed rate based on known parameters.

I’ve resorted to forcing the display to show by Starting the job and quickly Pausing the job before the cut starts. That’s when it would be nice to be able to see that display and adjust before starting the job.

4 Likes

I love the gsender program!! I would however love it if you could have the speed controls visible without having to start the job first. I use it for lasering but the speed needs to change for various wood densities. As it is now you need to adjust the gcode for every species. If the speed controls were visible before starting the job you could use the same code just varying the speed in gsender.

3 Likes

I concere…bthete have been a few incidents where people don’t see it at first

At the risk of being a party pooper, I think that I must respectfully disagree with the notion of the ability to set any of the values for speed and power, before you run the job. e.g. The variables for feed speed and laser power in LightBurn are, IIRC, no more adjustable than 100% of the GCoded value in either up or down directions. Carbide Motion permitted up to 100% of the GCoded set value in either the up or down direction.

I guess that makes sense in terms of variation, given that you have already specified the values which you think you require for the workpiece. Those values are based upon your previous experiences with the material and the cutting ease or burn rate. I especially do not like to see smoke damage or staining on my laser engraved workpieces. I set what I think is the best required value (in the GCode) and let the software take care of the rest.

I think that the idea of creating some sort of software rheostat, that would manage to cover everyone’s needs and requirements, is potentially a rather large coding overhead for a small return. Given that your machine submitted GCode has to have some starting point to run, why not give it the values which you know will be somewhere near and will work? Your previous experiences with the material and the operation to be run must get you quite close to the ideal values for your work.

@jepho With respect, Jeffrey, you may be misunderstanding the request. gSender already has the “rheostat” in its functionality. The issue is that it is only live after the job is started. There is no way to adjust it between when the file is loaded and the job is started. The request is to make the rheostat available as soon as the file is loaded.

If I am misunderstanding your input, please ignore all of this blabber. :grinning:

Hi Grant. Yep, I may be misunderstanding the request. A lot of software that has CNC construction as its endpoint has the ability to adjust speeds. I have seen and used gSender’s adjustment when I detected some chatter for a wood workpiece that was harder than I had calculated. It was real useful to be able to reduce the feed speed and stop the chatter. It resulted in a cleaner workpiece finish and a reduction in tool wear.

On the basis that one picture is worth a thousand words, here are two images to indicate why I may adjust the feed speeds. The workpiece in both cases was T6 6061 651 Aluminium and it was 6mm thick. I was working to a tolerance of ±0.001" in both cases so ripples from cutter chatter would have left me potentially with non-fitting parts.

The circular plates had to fit into a target box in a shooting range, for a bell target. The central target holes (that were helical drilled) were 4.6mm in diameter so that they would just pass a .177 flat headed air rifle pellet. N.B. The top hole of the three shows unacceptable ripples. I changed the feed speed and the cutter for a new one.

The image below shows a 6mm thick plate 40 x 60mm cut from the stock with the profile cut being supported by tabs 2mm wide x 1mm deep. Enlarging the image demonstrates the cut edge of the boundary and it looks pretty smooth for a hobby level CNC machine.

Yes, I understood that from the discussion.

I understood that aspect of the issue too.

This where I feel the proposition is answering the wrong question. Can we agree that the GCode file will have a feed value entered before the toolpath is processed by the post processor? This is an act before it is sent to gSender or whatever software/hardware control system runs the machine?

If yes, the user will not know which values of speeds and feeds to adjust within the post processed file until after they have run it. If they knew that they wanted to adjust the file… in advance of running that file, the required value would have been entered at the point where the toolpaths are encoded.

As soon as the GCode is loaded into gSender, or any other motion control software, the user cannot know what value they want the feed set to without running the file. The next logical step in the chain of events is to run the file. Listening, watching and feeling will tell the user if their encoded selected values were good and then there would be no need to make the change.

My pedantic self is arguing the case that you would not wish to adjust the value before running the file. I think it likely that if you knew you had made a mistake, you would probably opt to post process the toolpaths with your final adjustments. Once the file is loaded, you only have to run it to make the adjustments available. I guess I am saying that making that adjustment before you run the file is premature.

No… I think I did not explain myself very well, plus the issue of my pedantry has caused me to respond again in the fond hope that I may start making some sense. :wink:

In my case of use, I know what the feed and speed should be before the gcode is executed.

With an abundance of caution (this only happens on a project that I’ve never cut before), I want to start the cut slower so I can manually ramp up the parameter(s) to my calculated value(s).

This may be a case in the logic that you’ve overlooked; the fear factor! :smiley:

Yes, this speaks to my position on this.

I would do this at the time where I set up the toolpaths.

I guess I don’t feel the need to manually adjusted my calculated values.

It would be interesting to note (among machinists) whether this is a use case or an edge case. If the use of the machine induces fear to this level… where it changes an approach that you have already calculated to be correct, I would think a new hobby is on the cards.

I don’t mean that last comment to come across as flip. We can learn as much (or more) from making mistakes as we can from the need for mistake avoidance.

Yeah, that’s purty “flip”, but not any more flip than my original ( :smiley: ) cute comment. :smiley:

I’m so glad that you are sure of every cut you make, but the word cautious is very much a part of the start of every new project I make.

Anyway, this has digressed beyond what the original topic is: the availability in gSender to adjust the speeds and feeds before the gcode is executed on the machine.

@CrookedWoodTex @jepho I am closing this thread as it is moving off the original request to Sienci. Sienci has a team that monitors gSender posts and will reply/act accordingly, I’m sure.

1 Like