Milling time aspire vs gsender

I know that time estimation will never be exact between programs, but I am having wildly different numbers and I am curious as to whether or not that is normal. I have a small set of v-carve letters that aspire says 10 minutes for, and gsender says 2 hours.

Also, why isn’t it possible for gsender to estimate time without being connected to the machine?

@Ptk16 I’ve never found Aspire or VCarvePro to be close to the actual run time. There is a function in both that you can adjust to get it closer. As for gsender, as with UGS and CNCjs, the “opening” time is frequently wildly off, but it settles down after a few minutes to something closer to actual.

As for why it has to be connected to the machine, the Sienci guys can better reply to that, but I would guess that, until gsender connects to the controller and reads the settings that you have in your controller. They can and do vary from machine to machine.

Yeah, I kind of figured I would need to run some files and take notes…but sheesh that’s off by a lot!

1 Like

I probably don’t know what I’m talking about - I’m still just 4 months into my Mk2 and about 3 months into gSender, but I’m a long-time Java developers and have to ask…

Do most programs calculate run time by simply dividing number of lines by the XY rate constant and Z rate constant? I ask, because I think the “settle” time might be more a factor of being further into the job before the averages start to converge. A better estimate might be to build a line-by-line time table and as each is executed, display the sum of what’s left. It would be an “expensive” iterative calculation up front, and take extra memory to store the map, but trivial to look up and display as the job runs.

I believe gSender calculates time remaining based on the average time taken for each line so far times the number of lines remaining.

It’s really noticeable when a file starts with long straight lines, they take a long time to execute per line, and then does curves. The more lines that have been completed, the more accurate the average time per line becomes and thus the time remaining becomes more accurate.

That’s how I think it works based on observation, not sure about the estimate before it starts though. I’m a hobby programmer and made a toy sender, never got to the time estimation implementation but I did give it some thought.

1 Like