New to CNC'n What Software Should I Use

Hello All. I am new to CNC work and am wondering:
What people find are the best software to use to create your cuts?
Are there any that are specific to Longmill? Carbide Create seems to be for Shapeoko.
Should I use UGS or gSender?

I feel like it will have to do with personal preference. Just wanted some experts and amateur opinions and knowledge.

Thank you and can’t wait to get started with this machine.

2 Likes

I difidently prefer gsender over ugs. It seems to be way more user friendly. After saying that I would download and use both. Gsender is still a work in progress so you may encounter a bug here and there.

As far as software I’ve only used carveco maker which is $15/month. I don’t have much experience with others to compare it too but it seems to be very simular to the vectric software lineup.

@BrandonB Welcome to the group Brandon. You’ve started out very well, asking for advice from the users here. You will find it a very helpful group.

I will second @Swinly in preferring gSender over UGS as my gcode sender. gSender is still in beta, but it is quite stable and much more user friendly than UGS, IMNSHO. :grinning:

Your choice of CAM/CAD software may be more difficult. Much depends on your budget and what you plan to do with your Mill. This page will help guide you

A post was split to a new topic: gSender file size limitation

I will be ordering my MK2 48x30 in a few days. I will also be buying VCarve Pro, as it seems most of the pro’s I have been watching prefer that. I have a few years background in CNC machining and using MasterCam, so it shouldn’t be a terribly difficult switchover for wood routing. I hope…

@sp5937 Welcome to the group, Steve. I’m sure that you will find it a great place to hang out and learn about our machines.

Since you directed your post to me, I’ll throw out a few thoughts. I’m sure that others will add to my input.

VCP is an excellent CAD/CAM product. Using gSender to send the gcode that VCP creates works very well. When you set up VCP, use either the grbl inch or grbl mm as the post processor and you will be on your way to carving.

There are lots of resources available to help you learn about VCP. Here are a few that I can recommend:

Mark Lindsay CNC on youtube
Vectric’s tutorial on their site and on youtube
Garett Fromme on youtube

There are many, many others. But these will get you more than started.