Not sure where this should go, bit question

I purchased this bit set and it came as is no specs. Any idea as to where I might find data so I can enter it into v carve tool library?
# Engraving CNC Wood Carving Router Bit Set 1/4 Inch Shank 15, 20, 60, 90 Degree Engraving Bits, 2 Flutes Straight CNC V-bit Tungsten Steel Marking Conical Engraving Router Tool-(4 Pack)

For some tooling bits you will just have to measure yourself. You have all the angles (double check if the angle listed is half angle or included angle), you have the diameters of the shanks, so the only thing you have to measure with a caliper would be the flat bottom of the one bit. You will have to make some judgements as to the speeds and feeds, but that mostly becomes a trial and error thing to get the tool cutting performance that you require.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

1 Like

You may find the specific data engraved on the bit shank. Usually if you have the included angle (20ยฐ in this case) and the shank diameter, your tool library software should be able to calculate flute length which is trivial. I donโ€™t know Vectric software (V carve) but it would be surprising if it did not know what flute length the cutter had from the parameters I have mentioned. I use Carveco maker which automatically calculates such things.

Whatever you are going to cut requires an amount of consideration before you put tool to workpiece. That faster your feed speed, the more sideways force is placed upon the cutter. Stepdown (not stepover) is crucial so that you do not take a larger bite of the workpiece than the cutter can comfortably handle. Is the workpiece hardwood or softwood and do you want a fine finish (inlaying another piece of wood so you will want very clean edges) or are you engraving a space to fill with epoxy. A V bit will normally only cut to the depth that is required to touch both sides of the pattern. This would mean things like letters will not let a V bit descend any further into the workpiece when it is touching the sides of the text design. Software will allow you to limit or specify V bit depth.

You have nothing to loose by starting slowly on test materials to see what effects you get. Try a few simple toolpaths until you are comfortable with stepdown and feed speeds. The cutter should cut without any signs of mechanical strain or unusual noises. Look forward to seeing your work. Good luck.

1 Like

Iโ€™m going to use the 20 degree bit for an inlay. I found the company and I sent them an e mail and asked if they could send me the specs. My guess is I will be using the best guess method. :slight_smile:

Ok, sounds like a good plan. I was sent some stuff by a friend that is directly relevant to V carve. I use Carveco Maker so although it was useful to see how someone else approaches the V carve inlay process, I have worked out my own method.

Here are the information files (2 x .pdf files and a calculator1 .xlsx file in a .zip archive) that may help you to take some of the guesswork out of the process.

Archive.zip (453.7 KB)

Here is my first inlay:

I preferred my second attempt in maple and cherry:

1 Like