Proof of concept... first inlay done

Setup in Carveco Maker… single finishing toolpath with 60 degree Amana v bit. No roughing pass. Artwork is 60mm square. Cut 4mm deep in American maple. Will do the same thing slightly larger with Maple and Cherry. I am happy that it looks okay while being unfinished.

Feed: 500mm per minute. Plunge 100mm per minute. Stepdown 0.5mm. RPM 15,000

Complete inlay:

Female carve:

Male Carve:

comments welcome


I have struggled a bit with inlay technique. This result pleases me, finally! Cherry wood with a maple inlay of an eagle head in so-called tribal art style. All done in gSender which performed faultlessly so my thanks to Sienci software development team because it really works well.

Female side is American Cherry wood engraved to a depth of 5mm with a V bit toolpath in Carveco Maker. Cutter was an Amana VBit 6.35mm diameter cutter on a 6.35mm shank.

Model 45624 -K SC 6.35mm (1/4") spektra coated 60° V bit.

Stepdown was .5mm (0.019") RPM was 15,000. Feed speed was 500mm per minute (19.68") Plunge speed was 100mm per minute (3.93")

Male side is American Maple. Engraved to a depth of 4.5mm (0.178") Same feeds and speeds as listed for the female side.


@jepho Did you offset the male cut to leave a clearance after mating, and/or a glue gap beneath it? I’ve done a number of carves with the offset technique and it worked for me/my setup/my brain.

Hi Andy. I hope you are well. Thanks for asking. I did leave an offset of .2mm to start the male carve. My total differential was 0.3mm underneath the piece for glue (probably a bit much) because I made the carve 4.5mm instead of the 5mm of the female carve. The image occupied about 60mm square on a piece of wood that was 87mm square. I was interested in how much detail I could hold at small sizes of image.

This was the male piece after trimming prior to glue and clamping. I love how clean maple looks after it has been milled.

This was the male piece just prior to separating it with the bandsaw. A bit wasteful of material but I wanted to ensure that I could separate the waste material easily. The gap for the bandsaw blade was almost 2mm in depth.

1 Like

@jepho Looks like you got it figured out. Looks great! You may be able to surface the scrap male piece and use it again…

1 Like

Thank for your comment @RickW. The image was only around 60mm square in area. After cutting the edges of the image so that the inlay piece would lay flat, I was left with an odd shaped area that it would be tough to hold accurately for a further carve. On the other hand it is a good idea and it may be possible to carve an outer area that is dead square so the piece could be used again.