OpenSource LongMill Scratch Build

Perfect! Thanks for the precise information! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Perfect!
Thanks Chris :+1:

I should mention that the BOM is now available here: https://sienci.com/dmx-longmill/open-source-and-modifications/

1 Like

thanks for that BOM.

Bit by bit :blush:

3 Likes

It took 17 WEEKS for my V-BOTTOM wheels to finally arrive from AliExpress :tired_face:
Good thing I was busy making other parts in the meantime.
So ya, you have to be prepared to run into those kinds of troubles when scratch building.
BTW, not at all disappointed with the quality of the v-wheels… They look really good.

Ecentric nuts I had to make… Can’t buy this kind with the nice long cylindrical boss, over seas.

Another test fit

2 Likes

Tip: Before inserting lead screws, run a bearing free handed, over the length and remove any slight hang ups with an oil stone.

2 Likes

Thinking about clamping each Y axis against an angle plate, and skimming off the feet, in order to true them to each other.
Any thoughts?

I didn’t care for this type of locking ring, so I turned some up, using the idea from the couplings

1 Like

The little step faces the bearing, so it only contacts the inner race

1 Like

2 Likes

Hansi, nice work! I especially like the ACME screw collar.

1 Like

Thanks CRD.
Ya, didn’t want to bugger up the thread since I’ll be taking everything apart once it’s all proven. I want to send my steel parts out for E-coat later. Right now they are just rust proofed, until I’m happy with everything. Free E-coat service through family member :grin:

1 Like

Hansi: I really like your locking ring. Does it screw onto the acme rod, or just slip over it? If the latter, it would work like the slip on coupler at the motor end, correct?

Also, if it just slips on, how do you get it to tension the rod? In another thread, it is advised to tension the Y axis rods to keep them from whipping. That is why I am asking.

thank you

Hi Gwilki:
Thanks for your comment. The locking ring is a split ring, like the shaft couplings and will not mar the lead screw.
I currently have the lead screws tensioned by pulling on them by hand as I tighten the locking ring… But you do have a very good point.
I don’t feel any longitudinal play right now, but if I need to apply more tension once in running, I think I’ll tap an M4 into the end of the ACME screw and use a proper washer under the screw head, as it would pull against the locking ring from the back.
Sorry, don’t have any drawing, but I hope you can figure out what I am referring to.

1 Like

Insert M4 cap screw with washer for lead screw tensioning, then tighten locking ring.

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense, Hansi. I was thinking that, if the locking ring was a bit shorter, you could use a nut on the end of the rod to tension it, tighten the locking ring, then remove the temporary nut.

Thank you for replying.

1 Like