UGS - run from here feature

I just read on the UGS Google group that Will Winder has released a nightly build that includes a run from here feature.

Using this, if UGS freezes or the Mill stops running a Gcode file for any other reason, we will be able to edit the Gcode file in UGS and have it run a new file from where the old file left off. Before this new feature, we could edit Gcode in UGS, but, if I understand this feature correctly, now UGS will “know” which lines before the line where the file froze need to be retained and which can be deleted.

I’ve not tested this yet, but assuming this works as advertised, it could save some lost projects.

3 Likes

Thanks Grant. This will come in handy.

Grant, I gave this a quick try, and it does work. You just pick Machine and Start From in the menu and pick a line in the gcode. I only used a program already loaded and didn’t do a very thorough test, so maybe there are some safeguards built in, but one thing to watch out for is that it doesn’t know where zero is and starts where the cutter is, so if you tried to pick up after an oops and moved the router since you stopped, you may not have the room you need. If you restart UGS and try to pick up where you left off, it also won’t know speeds & feeds. I can see this definitely being useful. Thanks for the tip.

so

@BillKorn That’s good to know, Bill. I had read that you needed to set a new Z0. I have not had time to try it yet. I did download the nightly build. I hope to test it out on some rigid foam tomorrow.