Vcarve Desktop Limits

Avalon is a beginners project in Vcarve in Tutorials. Not a software thing. If I ever get something to run I will look into Kyle’s course.

@gwilki Thanks! Priorities… But it will happen, I’m sure! But that’s one of the big reasons I went with Vectric! No pricing pressure, it’s just there whenever I’m ready.

Should I not use Gsender?

@Dean I don’t understand your question, Dean. You should use gSender to send the gcode that you create in VCarve to your Long Mill. I did not mean to imply otherwise. My point was that you were not using the correct post processor in vcarve to create the gcode. You should be using either grbl mm or grbl in.

These terms I am not understanding. So I do need Gsender opened up and running and I do need "Post Processor G-code Arcs (inch)(*.tap) extension” also and follow the instructions for running it. Is that what I need to be able to select the saved program files to run the program?

Thanks

@Dean I strongly suggest that you take the time to watch some of Mark Lindsay’s videos on Youtube. He has a series - vcarve for beginners - which is excellent. Vectric also has very good tutorial videos.

To reply to your questions. gSender is the program you will use to send the gcode to your Long Mill. You create that gcode in VCarve. The process in VCarve is that you create your design, then you create toolpaths from that design. Finally, you create gcode from those toolpaths. To create the toolpaths that gSender and your Long Mill can understand, VCarves uses a post processor. This small application customizes the gcode for your Long Mill.

You have mentioned one post processor - G-code Arcs (inch)(*.tap). That is not the post processor that you should use for gSender and the Long Mill. You should use grbl mm. In VCarve, you have the choice of many post processors. Watch the Vectric videos on how to select the one you need - in this case grbl mm.

With that post processor selected, you will save the toolpaths that you have created in VCarve. They will be *.gcode files. Those are the files that you will subsequently open in gSender, send to your Long Mill and cut from the material.

This is a very cut down description of the process. Judging from your last post, you really need to watch some videos or take some training. I don’t know what your intended use for your Long Mill is but, with respect, you are not near ready to accomplish those goals.

2 Likes

I will watch the Mark Lindsay’s videos. Thank you for that link. I am very aware that I am not ready to be doing things. Just to be sure though I do need Gsender and grbl mm.

Thank you for putting up with me!

@Dean There is no “putting up” with you involved, Dean. :grinning: Everyone in this forum is willing to help as we all learn from each other. I’m sure that, as you learn more, you will have more questions. Don’t hesitate to ask them.

Thank you!
Getting that link to Mark Lindsay should be a BIG help!

1 Like

Here’s another very good source for beginners and pros. Go back to some of Garrett Fromme’s early videos for a good start on a lot of things. Don’t just start at the newest videos.

IDC Woodcraft

2 Likes

Absolutely. I would also highly recommend Garrett’s videos as well as other resources on his website!

Thank you!
I have been watching videos for hours now and will re watch them to get them down.

This string of messages is making me sweat! I remember starting and having the same question - how do I get my design to the mill. I watched a bazillion videos but the connection of that last step always either got glossed over in the video, or not even mentioned.
Dean, install Vectric (or whatever you decide upon) and draw up designs you want to cut. Next install Gsender and set it up for your machine. When you’re ready to cut, find the SAVE G CODE function in Vectric and save it to a file you can readily locate. Open Gsender and go to the LOAD FILE button and push it. Direct Gsender to that file you just saved and open it. Zero your X Y and Z, then you’re ready to cut.

The step from design to cut was the hardest thing for me to grasp. Once I figured it out and had a good laugh at myself for being so thick, it has been a slow steady climb to mediocrity.

I hope I understood your dilemma and helped. If not I stand proudly on me afore mentioned mediocrity.

Wg

2 Likes

Thanks W.g!
This process of learning CNCing reminds me of learning how to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for creating music. The biggest problem I have is how to ask the questions. I’m sure everyone who is into this has had the same problem. Every one has been so helpful which is really wonderful. I to am watching videos and the last suggestion has been really helpful. I have Vectric Desktop installed. I haven’t tried to cut anything yet so no broken bits. I agree with you “The step from design to cut was the hardest thing for me to grasp”

1 Like

If you need more help, post your questions freely. There are a great many folks here that really do enjoy helping.

Wg

Note that the price to upgrade Vectric is not always just the difference.

The price to go from

Ver. 10 Desktop to Ver. 11 Pro

is not the same total price to go from

Ver. 10 Desktop to Ver. 11 Desktop to Ver. 11 Pro.

I upgraded my cnc (bought bigger) shortly after I renewed my software from 10 to 11. Since it was less then a month I contacted Vectric why the price to go from Desktop to Pro would now cost more then the offer they showed me a couple weeks earlier.

Their comment was that it was my mistake for not going straight to Pro and nothing they could do.

Warning is to consider upgrade if you are at renewal time.

Sorry to hear how that worked out for you, but you might have got a better deal if you had pushed it a little harder. I’ve heard of that happening. “No” doesn’t always mean no. (Still might work. :smiley: )

As far as their software goes, there’s really no software out there that you can “pay the difference” to get the version that you want. I’m always waiting for this pricing policy to go away. I’m going to upgrade to their top-of-the-line Aspire if they ever give notice of a change.

Thanks for reminding me of this kind of convergence problem, though.

I agree with you, the ‘pay the difference’ is probably the first thing that brought me to their software webpage. My comment is not to discourage purchasing, in fact I would encourage others to consider a purchase. Just want to make sure others have information to make decisions.

I was just thrown off by Vectrics response and their tone.

In any case I now have learnt new ways to work within 24” bounds, so it encouraged the growth of my need to be creative with my workflow [insert silver lining]!

Thanks you. Have a great day!

The only thing I don’t like about his videos is that he doesn’t provide enough background on the subject before jumping right into the topic. But maybe it’s just me…

Marty from Kingston, ON, Canada, eh?