Vectric on Linux, goodbye and good riddance Windows

I’ve been using Windows since I got my LongMill because of wanting to use VCarve and not wanting to reboot every time I had an idea and needed VCarve. The whole time I’ve been trying to get Windows to act more like Linux especially on the command line with some success but it’s never been ideal for me.

I get so sick of Windows pushing me to sign in with a Microsoft account and other silly BS. So I decided to see if I could go the other way and run Vectric on Linux. It turned out to be pretty easy. It runs fine under WINE with it set to Windows 10 32-bit. So now I’m running Gentoo on my development/design PC and Pop!_OS on my laptop that controls the LongMill. Pop!_OS is in the Debian/Ubuntu family and the gSender ‘deb’ package installed and is working fine. So is LightBurn on Pop!_OS.

I no longer have Windows installed on anything and I am so happy to have that Microsoft monkey of my back!

1 Like

Nice! I didn’t really think about using Linux on the PC that controls my LongMill, but I can definitely see there being benefits there.

Do you see much of a difference in gSender on Linux? I have an older workstation class box (it was free) for that machine - plenty of horsepower for either OS, might try a dual boot to check it out.

I just got Pop!_OS, LightBurn and gSender setup today so I haven’t had much of chance to play with it yet. There is a significant improvement in the startup time for gSender, I can tell you that much already.

I focused on getting Vectric working first. Verifying that it worked by making a test file and running it with gSender on Windows to make sure that Vectric was working okay under WINE. Then I swapped the control PC over today, so far all is good. Next I need to setup NFS for sharing files between them. Having Gentoo in the mix without a full desktop package is slowing me down a bit but I like setting everything up just so on my dev/design machine. I took the easy route with the laptop though.