What are your plans for a table?

I love this! Your setup looks really similar to my shop - except better organized. :slight_smile: I even have a window in about the same place, the lumber rack above, and a radial saw to the right of where I plan to put the LongMill when it arrives.

The radial already sticks out about 36" from the wall, but my shop is kind of narrow and adding another 12" or so on that for the LongMill is going to make it feel even more crowded. This looks like a great solution to that problem. Folded up it would be no wider than what I already have, and when folded down I can just deal with losing a little floorspace temporarily.

Do you have it on wheels? That would be perfect because then it could be rolled away from the wall to do longer stock too.

Are you planning to publish your plans anywhere?

The table is on wheels. I didnā€™t make plans.

I can take pictures or measurements of anything you may need

Space limitations have prevented me from acquiring a CNC in the past. My shop is in one half of a two car garage because my boss insists on parking her car on her half. I managed to claim the ā€˜air rightsā€™ and decided to mount my longmill on a platform that I could hoist out of the way when not in use. I bought a Racor 4ā€™x4ā€™ ceiling lift with a 250 lb capacity on Amazon for around $250 US. It works great. When lowered, I clamp it to the MFT top on my workbench to keep it from swinging around.

14 Likes

Where did you get the lift? I might make use of one in the future.

Amazon. $250.
https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-HeavyLift-4-Foot-Cable-Lifted/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2SSPVSDYLFBRE&keywords=racor+ceiling+storage+lift&qid=1583127365&sprefix=racor%2Clawngarden%2C187&sr=8-4

1 Like

Hereā€™s my table I will be building an enclosure as soon as the longmill arrives.
![IMG_20200209_221650|666x499](upload://j4lYI8b0Moqivw23V9H24bKZNHW

.jpeg)

16 Likes

11 Likes

Got my table (almost) finished today. Thereā€™s a shelf on the bottom and Iā€™ve milled the boards for it, just havenā€™t installed them yet.

9 Likes

And the shelf boards are in. Awaiting a missing bag of parts from Sienci (thank you for the fast response!) before I can proceed on the machine assembly.

5 Likes

Woah @Iguana, looking clean :ok_hand: I hope your missing parts find you soon, Iā€™d really like to see how the final setup looks with your LongMill sitting on top :slightly_smiling_face:

Tracking says the parts should arrive today. Should have the finished product together very shortlyā€¦

2 Likes

Sysimpgrp:
I see you have these big holes in your waste board, as you do in your work bench.
Is the MDF strong enough to support those kind of clamping tools? Maybe I should ask, how deep are the holes?
Thanks Hansi

the dog holes in the MFT workbench go all the way through. you can either use clamps that hook into the hole and clamp the workpiece down to the surface or you can use in-line clamps that insert into the hole and exert force on the side of the workpiece that rests against a fence or bench dogs.

On the CNC, I couldnā€™t decide among t-track, t-nuts or dog holes for work holding, so I just used all 3. The mdf is 3/4 inch thick. You canā€™t use the workbench clamps that clamp downward as the holes donā€™t go all the way through and the clamps are too tall to clear the x gantry. But I am able to use the holes for positioning my fences that I then hold down using the t-nuts. I have been experimenting with cam clamps that fit into the dog holes and also the festool in-line dog clamps. I have seen the kreg in-line clamps used on you tube but I havenā€™t tried them yet. There are also designs for cam clamps on you tube. I also have an in-line toggle clamp that fits into the t-track. I have found that while the in-line clamps hold the workpiece firmly against the fence they also lift it slightly and need to be used in conjunction with some hold down clamping.

this is one of the more interesting workholding systems that I have seen:

11 Likes

Thanks for the great explanation!
Wow that video was a real idea opener for me. I think your combination of side and down force, is still the winner.

3 Likes

Missing parts came in late today. Got in a bit of construction time before supperā€¦

Hope to get it finished off tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

Got some action today!

Now to figure out how to make some cool stuffā€¦

13 Likes

You are on your way. Have fun!

1 Like

Hi Iguana
Can ask you were you got your t track from I am looking for a good deal on four foot lengths.nice job on the table by the way.

Lee Valley - https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/jig-and-fixture-parts/61986-veritas-t-slot-tracks-1-4-20-thread. Cheapest I could find in that length.

1 Like

I appreciate it. yeah thatā€™s about the cheapest going I searched all over Amazon and eBay thereā€™s no better deal out there that I can find.