What are your plans for a table?

You now got me thinking about the bottom shelf where I was also thinking of using MDF. While I have the torsion box for the top, I donā€™t have anything really supporting the bottom shelf. At a little under 5ā€™ that is most likely to start sagging. Now I need to rethink the bottomā€¦

Just to add my 2 centsā€¦

Get the bottom shelf up if of the floor 10 to 12 inches. This gives space to store a few items underneath it all.

I have two low profile totes with lids and a few pieces of stock on the floor. As long as I roll the table straight back (or move the totes first) when I need to get to the rear of the table, itā€™s no worries and I need the additional space.

1 Like

@Swinly I donā€™t see where you have a torsion box for the top. With all the bracing that you have, though, I donā€™t believe that you need one, either. I will respectfully disagree with Wally on the position of the bottom shelf. No offence, Wally. I have to roll my table frequently to get access to cabinets that line the walls of my basement shop. Storing anything under the shelf would be a real nuisance. That said, YMMV.

I donā€™t see what you have to gain by having your table top overhanging the supporting frame. Since you will be mounting the Mill inside the overhang, it just means that you have further to lean over to reach the X gantry. Overhang on the left side will give you more space to mount the electronics, but at 60" wide, you have more than enough room without that overhang, too.

Are those drawers in the front? Thatā€™s a good plan for bits and bobs storage. You can also mount a drawer unit sitting on the bottom shelf. You have a lot of space under that table, so you may as well make the best of it.

1 Like

Hello Swingly! Take a special care on the top to be perfect square in every way it will worth it when youā€™ll install the longmill , itā€™ll be a breeze to have it leveled. On mine i put a 10" lg brace in every corner at the top and at the shelf and i also put wheels so really easy to move it from point A to point B if you need to.
For the table top i add two layer of 5/8 thick Mdf screwed together in alternate direction (1st layer from right to left and 2nd layer perpendicular to the first layer ) this add more rigidity .

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for all the inputā€¦

@gwilki you have a great point about the overhang I put in it. If I only adjust the top itā€™ll bring it down to 43.5" x 55.5", I think I can live with that if the Longmill can. I also agree about not storing anything under the shelf on the floor. While the table will have a permanent spot in my shop, it will be moved around quite a bit like my other tables.

A drawer unit was what I had originally envisioned but really couldnā€™t decide so I went with the two drawers up top for bits and whatnot. The drawer unit may still come but at a later date.

1 Like

Here is my stab at a workstation for my 12x30 LongMill. Has a foldable table for my laptop and wheels for mobility. I also left room at the near Y axis so I can mill board vertically. I do mostly joinery on my machineb. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B228IEWSn74XLUl6V3NJUktLYzA. Next phaseā€¦dust management and full enclosure.

3 Likes

Quick question for you guys as I was checking out the tables. I read that you can put 2 strips of material under the Longmillā€™s Y rails to take advantage of itā€™s full Z travel but in all the table builds I donā€™t recall seeing anyone do that. Has anyone done that? I donā€™t have mine yet but I was just doing some shop planning and I thought I might add 2 3/4 strips of MDF underneath the Y axis rails that went the full length of the 4x4 tabletop and were a little wider than the feet to give it some adjustability.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark, as described several times previously, I and others have put 3/4" MDF under the mounting feet. It gives you more vertical space under the router, but depending on how many layers of waste board you use can force you to mount the router lower in the clamp, which can increase the flex in the system. The pluses and minuses are described in previous posts.

2 Likes

Thanks, I went with 3/4 inch over 2x4 frame for the tabletop then the spoil board extends to the feet so I maximize my router height.

1 Like

Thought Iā€™d share my table concept for discussion. Built a torsion table from dadoed mdf strips glued and screwed in between 3/4" sheets. I opted to leave openings in the front for shallow drawers (bit/tool storage) and then a thru opening for the option of milling ends of vertical boards/posts. Will mount the waste board strips and t-track on top of this yet (across the opening too). Just lift out a strip of waste board to access the opening. Just put a downpayment on some 2x4s for the legs so hopefully will do that this weekend once the bank approves and then on to Longmill assembly :grin:

6 Likes

@Brendan Very nice job,Brendan. It will certainly be rigid enough. :grinning:

1 Like

I just built a plywood table frame on wheels with an MDF top. I have some wall space behind this stack of wood on the right and I was thinking of mounting the Longmill vertically on the wall to save some space. The entire wood top can be detached from the table and would go on the wall (if I get around to doing that). I have a monitor that I need to attach to the stand and Iā€™m thinking of replacing the flex dust hose with solid PVC.

4 Likes

So if you you need one of those cross stacked pcs what happens? Iā€™m only asking because I did that years ago and cursed a lot.

2 Likes

Sorry just saw this! I start from the top. Itā€™s all reclaimed pallet wood and that was the best way I could think of to store it in a relatively small area. Somebody added a 48x48 table with a Longmill CNC machine on it to an already crowded shop. :laughing:

20210711_162030

thanks for all your sharesā€¦built mine from alot of folks idealā€¦thanks all

the giz

3 Likes

@GIZMO Welcome to the group, Gizmo. Iā€™m sure that you will find everyone here very open to helping you with issues as they arise. So, feel free to ask questions and be sure to post pics of your projects.

The table looks very solid.I love the size of your monitor. :grinning:

Thanks for the warm welcomeā€¦im now addicted to this machine,hahaha
20210727_142315

5 Likes

Hey Derek! I realllllly like this design. With your permission, Iā€™d like to use it as a model for mineā€¦ Would you mind sharing some dimensions with me? The footprint of your base and the height from the floor (including casters) to the surface of the waste board. Also, did you have to source longer cables for the control box in the drawer, or are the cables that come with the system long enough to reach. I appreciate your creativity, workmanship and experience. Kindest regards, Bob

3 Likes