30x30 MK2 X Axis problem

I have had my MK2 for about a month or so now. After all assemble and setup, I wanted to make my spoilboard, so I purchased a file from a well known CNC-er on Youtube named Garrett. In no way am I placing blame for this issue on him, it just happened to be his code this problem showed up on. In fact, other than the “break in” code, it was the first program I ran on my MK2. The spoilboard is a two sided program, and once the first side was done, I flipped it, loaded the file to drill all the holes for the threaded nuts, and ran it. The code ran great until it got near the end where there were about 8-10 holes left to drill, and suddenly it simply started drilling almost on top of the holes it had just finished drilling. What that means is the X Axis was off in the negative direction about 5 inches. I stopped the program, sent the machine back to XY zero, only it registered about 5" off in the negative direction from the original XY zero. Y was and has always been perfect.

Now we come to June 18, (today)…I finished my new spoilboard with t-tracks, set up and ran the surfacing file (which I wrote), and it ran fine, no issues. After everything was finished there, I decided to load and run a small program I made for my wife’s school art class (just some simple ship steering wheels). There were two tool paths, the first being a pocket for the center of the wheels, cutting in 1/4" ply, using a 1/4" bit. I had two rows of 4 on a 13"x22" piece of ply, and started running the pocket code. First 5 holes went with fail, but just as before, suddenly on the 6th, it started cutting almost right on top of the last hole pocketed. It was, again, almost exactly 5" off on X axis in the negative direction. I stopped the program, sent the router to XY zero, except the zero was now about 5" off just like the last time it happened. So, I am now convinced it is NOT a code or gsender issue. I am pretty sure it is a controller problem. I am afraid to do anything now, fearing that at any moment it will jump off registration on X in the negative direction about 5"…

OK, friends…any ideas? I turned in a ticket to Sienci, and hopefully will get some answers quickly. I sent the the gcodes from both programs. I am a Journeyman machinist and know gcode somewhat, but I am definitely not an expert. However, I looked through the code and found nothing to tell the router to move X 5" during the program. Also VCarve Pro showel toolpaths running as expected, no problems. Gsender should never consistently do that. I am using a brand new computer, downloaded gsender from Sienci, all the new cables Sienci sent me, the machine is only a month or so old…needless to say, I am becoming frustrated and wondering if I made a bad choice with this purchase…

I used the same spoilboard and had problems with it not cutting right. Both my x and y axis were off by different amounts. This link might help
Go here Additional Features - gSender Docs and then scan down till you get to Movement Tuning and see if that procedure helps.
Just a guess, good luck.

@sp5937 Can you be running out of X axis room, so that it is hitting the end of its possible movement before the edge of the material?

Nope…both times it happened the X axis was way shy of running out of room. The first time it was a little closer but still within inches (at least 4" to 5" from X axis runout on the right side), and today it was about in the middle of the table…the wood was 13" tall, and 22" wide, and the X was cutting at about center point of the Axis…I had the piece of ply registered with the front left corner at the front left corner of the spoil board, and the center of the piece of wood was XY zero, so at 6.5" on Y and 11" on X…

Unfortunately it has happened on two different projects and did the same thing on X, both times about 5" change in X…

@sp5937 Have you had any successful projects, Steve?

If you enter $$ in the console, what does $130 show?

I had trouble with my X axis once, the coupler that connects the motor to the lead screw was loose. It would seem fine and then slip sometimes and the X would be off. Just something else to check.

Good luck.

I did have one success. The same ships wheel I was making when it failed, I had made a single one just to see if it would cut properly. It seems that it happens when I am doing multiples. I know nothing about the $xx things, but will do it today and get back…

Oh yeah, it did do the spoilboard surfacing with no issue. And I ran that three times trying to get the forward nod dialed out of the tram…which makes me ponder, why does it not happen when it is running constantly in X AND Y such as the surfacing program, and yet it DOES happen when it is cutting multiples of a like item or in the case of the drilling, multiples of holes…

Thanks!! That was one of the first things I checked.

The line says $130=762.000 (X-axis maximum travel, mm)