3D Laser etching?

@Lutraphobia Just to be clear, Iā€™m not telling you that you must use the profile operation. I am saying it is one option for what you want to do. Another option is a v carve operation.

The Long Mill does use grbl 1.1h

I have no idea why Jtech has a newer version for no Z. If itā€™s important to you, I would imagine you could ask them

I have never edited a post processor, so I have no advice to offer. One of the reasons that I have not done it is that there are a lot of things that can go wrong and Iā€™ve never needed a custom post processor.

With respect, since you donā€™t need to edit one to do what you want to do, I would strongly advise that you not do it. Itā€™s your call, though.

1 Like

Great advice - Iā€™ll ask Jtech if they can make a 1.1h compatible PP with a Z. :slight_smile:

Understood that using pocketing tool is just one option. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll just get v-carve pro and the laser add on at some point. Making it simple and consolidating my tool paths and workflows may be worth the money.

I wonder if they have veteransā€™ discounts or sales at certain times of the year?

Well, here is my test piece. Itā€™s small - only 4 x 6. Itā€™s cut in 1.25" MDF.

I took the stl of mount rainer that @Lutraphobia posted on this thread and cropped and resized it. Then I took the contour graphic and played a bit with it. It likely is not spot on, but as this is a throw-away piece, I wasnā€™t concerned.

I created 3 tool paths in VCarvePro. A roughing pass and a finishing pass for the topo map and a profile pass for the contour lines.

I chose a 1/4" ball nose for the roughing pass, a 1/8" ball nose for the finishing pass and a .005 diameter end mill for the contours. .005 is the diameter of my laser spot. I set the spindle speed to 500, which is 50% laser power. I set the feed rate to 3500 mm/min.

The roughing and finishing passes were done using the named bits. The contours were done using the laser.

I set Z0 on the surface of the material for the roughing and finishing passes, using grbl inch as the post processor.

Before setting up the laser pass, I set $30=1000 and $32=1. Then, for the laser pass, I tried something different. I set its focus on the surface of the material and also used grbl inch as the post processor. That way, the Z axis moved up and down as if I was using an end mill (which, to VCP, I was). Using the feature in Vectric to ā€œproject tool path onto 3D modelā€ meant that the laser followed the contour of the topo carved by the router.

The pic is not very good, but the lines are a consistent width and level of darkness from the highest point in the model to the lowest. The max height of the model is just under 1.25"; the lowest is just under .25". I am using a G8 lens and the focal length is less than the 1" difference between the highest and lowest point in the model. So, I believe that if the Z axis was not following the contour of the model, the results would not be as precise as they are.

top_view

1 Like

I. FREAKING. LOVE. THIS.

Awesome test, details on how you accomplished it, and outcome.

Thank you very much @gwilki for helping here. Canā€™t wait to get my laser from Sienci to get started on this. I think you just made it super simple with the details described below.

Many thanks!
-Lutra

2 Likes

Finally, I received my laser a few days ago! So happy!

I installed it yesterday and burned this logo as a test:

Looks like I need to back off on the power a bit and increase the travel speed I am thinking. The lines are a bit bolder than what I intended it to look like.

Anyway, QQ to @gwilki or anyone else. When I screwed in the laser lens, it was quite a loose fit.

Yes, I put the correct spring in (7mm for G2 if I recall correctly). With the laser on and trying to focus it turning the ring I find that itā€™s super touchy. I thought it would be more of a perfect fit. When you touch the focus dial the beam bounces around a lot.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
-L