Adding a Laser - My Journey (Tutorial)

@paullarson - The documentation is a bit misleading there (at least for my unit). That switch actually acts as the power switch on my unit. With it off, the laser will do nothing. With it on, the laser will respond to the PWM signal.

@Funtik I played with the scope and some other resister values this week. I actually went up to a 10k resister after seeing you had luck with the 5k. I didn’t capture the wave pattern from my 1k, but the 10k looked a lot better. Maybe ask your brother in law to stop over again and examine what the PWM signal looks like. Here is my 50% signal.

With the smaller resistor, the wave did not look nearly as good. Would be worth a check since you have access to the tools.

Having said all that, I can’t tell any difference on the performance, but it is putting a smaller draw on the Longboard output so that makes me more comfortable.

@r_heisler did you get your new laser head yet?

@JayDent. No not yet. I’m still waiting for my new laser to come in. It is stuck in customs, so hopefully it will be here soon.

1 Like

@JayDent
Hi. I’m not gonna bagging my bro-in-law for a while :grinning: I’m happy so far that it’s working, only one more thing what I have changed with his help it’s a thickness of the wire from the laser drive to laser diode. I had 22Ga and when we measure V I was losing 0.7V of power from drive to diode.
So we’ve changed wire to 18Ga and… I didn’t check it yet but I’m pretty sure it will be much better than before :smiley:
Now I’m preoccupied with setup of Chinese 2.2kW spindle. :sweat_smile:

@Funtik Can you please post a link to the spindle that you chose. Also, please keep posting on your setup.

2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor… https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089SVKV1F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

@gwilki
Disclaimer :grinning:
I’m newbie in CNC so I don’t no how helpful my adventure will be :rofl:

@Funtik When this forums started, Petr, we were all newbies. That just means that we have learned together by sharing the successes and the failures.

Should I continue in this thread or start a new one?

@Funtik I think that you should start a new one. Otherwise, people will believe that this is all about lasers and may not tune in.

1 Like

I know this is old and by now you have them but for anyone else looking, I found them both at my local Home Hardware and independent Rona. I just went to my local PC repair guy and got one (he didn’t even charge me) before I noted them in the stores.

@Duke What are you referring to, Blair?

Where I found the connectors for the PWM/TTL. The system just didn’t put my comment where I intended it. Oops

1 Like

@JayDent , @gwilki Well I finally pick up my laser. It took a while for it to come in. @gwilki I took your advise and talked to George from Endurance laser. He had a good price on his lasers so I bought one.
Installing it tonight, so hopefully it works out ok. I’ll Let you know in a couple of day how everything goes.

1 Like

@r_heisler I’m jealous. :grinning: Which one did you buy?

I’m sure that you will have lots of fun with it.

@gwilki, I bought the 10w Delux, the only problem I’m having it the temperature gauge. The wires are small and I don’t want to extend them too much.

@r_heisler Sweet!! :grinning:

1 Like

@r_heisler , here is what I did for my 10W+ Invincible laser from Endurance. I was concerned about voltage drop for power to the laser wires. I was also concerned about wire flexibility and reliability so I used a 12 gauge silicone insulated wire for them.
[Amazon.com: BNTECHGO 12 Gauge Silicone Wire 10 ft red and 10 ft Black Flexible 12 AWG Stranded Copper Wire: Car Electronics:(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABOPMEI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I also used used these connectors:
Amazon.com: Muzzys (Set of TWO) 12-14 AWG Guage 2 Pin Position Terminal Weather Pack WeatherPack Connector Male Female Set Weather Proof: Automotive

For the temperature sensor wires I used this 28 gauge enclosed speaker wire:
Amazon.com: Striveday 28 AWG 2 conductor wire Power Cable Audio Cable Speaker Wire (Red & Black) 33ft UL certification: Home Improvement

I also used a lot of heat shrink tubing:
650pcs Heat Shrink Tubing Black innhom Heat Shrink Tube Wire Shrink Wrap UL Approved Ratio 2:1 Electrical Cable Wire Kit Set Long Lasting Insulation Protection, Safe and Easy, Eco-Friendly Material: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The laser kit from Endurance labs came with a two pin and three pin connector so I used them for the temperature wires, that’s why in on one end of the temperature cable you will see two wires and on the other three. The third wire is not used.

Also, I soldered all connections.

![IMG-0634|375x500]
(upload://qJD5Q6uVeRDDzPh1hu2SLOkjAKq.jpeg) ![IMG-0633|375x500]

1 Like

Just stopping in to say thanks for this. I was at a loss for why I kept burning things constantly. I put a 4.7k resistor across the PWM pins and all is well now. Thanks so much!

1 Like