Adding a Laser - My Journey (Tutorial)

@paullarson, Thank you for the pictures, they help out alot. I have the laser all assembled and tested. No I just need to clean up the wiring and wait for my air pump. But other than that it is working great.

Now I need to learn how to post a picture. LOL

1 Like

i think i got it figured out. Lets give this a try

1 Like

Glad I could help. I ended up not using the air pump and just use my 3 gallon air compressor with the output pressure cranked down to 25psi.

2 Likes

Those of you who have the 10w unit, how well does it cut wood? I have a 5.5w unit and it will not cut really anything and there are some patterns I’ve seen where a laser to cut would be nice instead of a 1/8 bit. Can it laser through 1/4" plywood?

So far all I’ve tried cutting is 1/8" Baltic birch plywood and it has no trouble. Takes two to 3 passes depending on variations in the plywood.

@JayDent , This is my first working laser and i’m still learning. But it does have alot of power. I tried a power scale using 1/2" plywood and it did cut a good 1/8" down @ 80% power , 180mm/min. in 1 pass.
I did say i tried the power scale because I downloaded it, threw it into lightburn and clicked start, without looking at it and the outputs.
I’ll post a pic of the burn and the outputs and you will see.

1 Like

The bottom left is the deepest burn

As you can see, the speeds and the powers are kind of all over the place. Not really in order and don’t match the what was to be burned.

1 Like

looks like someone over time adjusted the test pattern. Fairly easy to fix. I use a pattern similar to that and love it.

Great step by step. Thanks to you and all the commenters. Hope to add a laser to my setup soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Successfully setup a NEJE 20W Diode laser on the Longmill. I’m running 12vDC power through a power adapter and double tapping the SpinPWM and SpinPWM Ground to the TTL inputs. I added power switches for my VFD and Laser to keep the inputs separate. Works great and was fairly easy to install. I had to upgrade Vectric Desktop to V-Carve Pro and add the laser module which was a heftier price but made the transition easy vs. learning new software.

3 Likes

Hi Dudemeister
I got a neje laser too, but cant figure out the cables. would you be kind enough to draw a diagram of what you plugged in to what, just pen and paper, I´d really appretiate it.

thanks

A post was split to a new topic: Wiring a generic laser module