Carve Lines Visible

Happy about the improvements. The black residue is normal and you will need to clean it from time to time.

Maintenance :hammer_and_wrench: - LongMill CNC (sienci.com)

@Bizbrar Well, at least things are improving somewhat. Small consolation, I bet.

You mentioned different stepovers. I routinely run 8% on a finishing pass. It certainly adds to the time it takes to finish, but the final pass means almost no sanding - depending somewhat on the material. Also, keep in mind that if you mill MDF with any frequency, end mills will dull very quickly.Plywood is bad, too. All the glues and binders in those materials kill edges.

Black stuff n the rails is normal. It will be a small bit of delrin and some dust ground in. Keep the rails clean - not operating room clean, but clean.

Noises are normal, too. IMHO, grinding is not. You have likely already checked everything that can be. Don’t overtighten the v wheels. Don’t overtighten the anti-backlash nuts. The nuts, especially need to be adjusted a VERY small amount at a time. All you are doing is taking out the movement along the lead screw; no more.

As a side note, I find that a paper towel and rubbing alcohol cleans the black off the rails.

2 Likes

Another thing that may decrease the vibrating noise when jogging is to loosen the mounting bolts for the anti-backlash nuts and then jog that axis back and forth and then tighten them back up. This is to make sure that the anti-backlash nut isn’t putting pressure up or down on the threaded rod. I read that on here and it did help on my machine.

2 Likes

I am going to back out the anti backlash as suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for the timely responses.

I havent created anything of value yet due to the many tweaks, but I feel good that I am almost there.

I don’t want to hijack the posting here, but as far asthe “grinding “ sound, mine was doing that also. Chris gave me instructions on current adjustment for my Y axis and afterwards the noise disappeared nearly 100 percent…

I’ve had mine for just over 3 months and am close (hopefully) to being able to carve consistently without too many glitches. It’s been a nightmare.