Drag Knife for Thin Stock

I like this! Coming up with something simpler and better… Just keep at it!
:muscle::+1::+1:

@Hansi @BillKorn Hansi: I cut Bill’s design today in corian. There is a little epoxying involved and I’ve done that. Tomorrow, it will be set and I’ll take it out for a test drive. I hope to report success tomorrow.

2 Likes

The aluminum version milled very well. Getting the shaft positioned in the slot and holding it there was more of a challenge than I thought it would be, but otherwise I think it has potential. The epoxy is curing so I should get it cutting tomorrow. It sounds like you’ll be there before me, so good luck.

2 Likes

Hey guys, what is the latest on the bearing less versions?

1 Like

I did mine in corian, Bill in aluminum. The final design worked well. I cut a couple of projects in foam core that I had lying around. I really had no immediate use for the knife. I just got into it to see if I/we could get one that did not include the bearings to work. In another thread, Bill put a link to a site of his that has the files from both fusion360 and mine from VCarvePro.

Here it is:

Grant, you’re so helpful. Thank you!

I got a nice piece of 8"x8" aluminum that I’m looking forward to trying my hand with. Did you end up figuring out a way to do it without requiring the bearing?

Edit: I see in Bill’s thread he answers that question. Sorry for the duplicate.

-Jeff

How’s testing going with this guy’s?

@Ukracer Andy: Bill and I both had successful cuts with the final design. You can read the previous posts in this thread. Bill opened a new thread here:

in which we gave more details.

Bill kindly shared the design files but right around that time I had a power switch failure and was waiting on a new Longboard. I used the time to figure out my end stop sensors. The new Longboard arrived Friday, I have the sensors almost finished (just tidying up cabling/mounts) and then I hope to try my hand with aluminum and cut the designs Bill shared this week. I’ll update here once I have some results. Given the skill Bill and Grant have and all the details they have shared from their journey, I’m quite optimistic I should be able to get similar results.

-Jeff