Getting Ready for Your New Long Mill

So this is pretty much the shop. Where the bandsaw is, to the left of it is an 8’ bench on the wall. I’ll snag 4’ of that space and build the cnc table there.

The cnc table will mimic the one I built as an outfeed table

That’s the plan anyways

Where is the emoticon for jealous?

Nice shop space. So bright, clean, well laid out and so… much… room.

-Jeff

1 Like

Lol…we retired last year and moved away from Ottawa. My biggest requirement was to have a workshop big enough to house everything without making everything mobile. Second requirement was to be able to park the vehicle in the garage in the winter. Found a nice place outside Perth with a 3 car garage. 2 doors on the front, one on the side. Lots of room now.

2 Likes

Alright alright. You don’t have to rub it in. :slight_smile:

-Jeff

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xcarve+folding+table

there are a few good folding ideas for mounting a similar cnc on youtube. Personally I’ll probably go with a fold UP design.

I might make this table, or might just bolt to my wall.
3 Likes

Just ordered a 3030 Long Mill. Exactly what part number Arduino Uno is supplied with the mill? I’d buy one in advance to help me get things figured out. Not expecting my Long Mill until February :frowning:
Is it possible to interface with the Arduino with Mach 3? Although I have no CNC experience, I’ve watched several You Tube videos on Mach 3 so I’m somewhat familiar with it.

I used one of these for testing my setup:

https://www.amazon.com/Maker-UNO-Simplifying-Arduino-Education/dp/B07G8QQMLX

The exact model arduino doesn’t matter, and this one has LEDs built in on the outputs.

Plus, I’ve got a handful of them in a desk drawer for no reason at all, so I was happy to put one to use. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have not pulled the trigger on the purchase yet… but i have a question about routers… i have a Milwaukee 3-1/2 Max HP Fixed-Base Production Router 5625-20… is this overkill or should i buy the one with the Mill? i do plan on trying my luck with aluminum.
Thanks

That router is way too big the machine will nit support the weight.

Any trim router will work but check the recommendations in the site here.

https://sienci.com/mill-one-resources/router-options/

thanks for the info good to know… and now it seems so obvious that it would be to heavy for the gantry. I like Milwaukee and will stick with what is recommended.

Ya anyone of the Palm routers or trim routers are great. They sell the makitas because they are the best they know and longer lasting one they have tested. Not sure about Dewalt or Milwaukee.

Hi Bill
Thanks for the info. I think I’ll give this a try.

I haven’t done all the research but I think few trim routers will run as low as 10K RPM and that makes the machine more versatile. Keep that in mind when making a choice. The three phase Chinese spindles will safely run as low as 6K RPM and would be more suitable for aluminum. Given the design of this CNC cutting aluminum will still be a challenge that will require as low a spindle speed as possible, careful tooling selection, proper cut depth and stepover as well as very good work holding. Any mistakes will result is short tool life and/or poor cut quality.

1 Like

The Makita RT0701C bottom end is 10K. As for aluminum see my post titled Feeds & Speeds - Aluminum under Machine Support & Info. It has a link to a video about cutting aluminum on a unit similar (but not as good) to the LongMill.

1 Like

Cool. Holler if I can help.

You can cut aluminum fine with a Makita Palm router. The guys did it with it in the machine in the past cutting a thick block of aluminum into a tyrannosaurus.

1 Like

Hay Guy’s
Just thought I would through this out there I am a jack of all trades like a lot of you out there I do it all from wood working to motorcycles and anything in between so I thought why not CNC I thought It would bee cool to get into so I am waiting on my XXL I know the guy’s back in waterloo are busting there asses trying to get mine done lol so I took some hint’s from you guys and started to get things ready table is done now doubt I will make a enclosure for the machine to but now im trying to learn all the software aspect of this adventure and holy crap I have got my work cut out for me any imput from you guy’s out there will be gladly appreciated. P.S. I just hope I am even putting this in the right forum.

3 Likes

Easiest software to learn is easel. Hands down. It is the fastest to learn and easiest to get a firm grasp on. After you have that down you can move to other software. There are lots of tutorials on youtube just take your time and go slow. Pause the videos and make sure you understand the steps. If your able watch the videos on one computer and play with the program on another. Or stream it on your tv box if you can.

Easel is free just tick all the boxes that show your not making any money and a “Hobbyist” you will be fine.

1 Like

Nice table btw looks great.

1 Like