Goto Z=0 moves far down below zero.
I wanted to move the bit to Z=0, only to be surprised it went down almost an inch and then came back up to zero.
This seems like a bug. See linked videos.
Roland Portman
Goto Z=0 moves far down below zero.
I wanted to move the bit to Z=0, only to be surprised it went down almost an inch and then came back up to zero.
This seems like a bug. See linked videos.
Roland Portman
Out of curiosity does it behave the same if you use the go to Z button on the right instead?
@R.Portman I can’t see it in the video, but what version of gSender are you running?
Where did you set Z0?
I didn’t try that. I’ll let you know.
gSender 1.6.2
I first set Z zero using paper on top of the material.
I wanted to lower the Z zero by -0.004” to compensate for the thickness of the paper.
I moved the bit up and off the material.
I used the GoTo (paper airplane) , set Z to 0 and hit Go!
Shockingly, the router went down about an inch and then back up to Z=0.
I powered PC and SLB off. Then powered up.
Router lowers more than inch below Z=0 then back up to Z=0.
Repeated steps 1&2
Router drops to Z=0 (as expected).
gSender 1.6.2
[VER:1.1f.20230917:]
[OPT:VNMPZSL+2,128,1024,4,0]
[NEWOPT:ENUMS,RT+,HOME,ES,SED,ETH,FTP,TMC=7,SD,YM]
[FIRMWARE:grblHAL]
[NVS STORAGE:*EEPROM]
[FREE MEMORY:133K]
[DRIVER:STM32F412]
[DRIVER VERSION:230828]
[BOARD:SuperLongBoard_B5.0.3]
[AUX IO:3,4,0,0]
[WIZCHIP:W5500]
[IP:192.168.5.1]
[NETCON:Telnet]
[PLUGIN:Trinamic v0.12]
[PLUGIN:MODBUS v0.14]
[PLUGIN:HUANYANG VFD v0.11]
[PLUGIN:HUANYANG P2A VFD v0.10]
[PLUGIN:Durapulse VFD GS20 v0.05]
[PLUGIN:Yalang VFD YL620A v0.02]
[PLUGIN:MODVFD v0.03]
[PLUGIN:H-100 VFD v0.03]
[PLUGIN:SLB Laser PWM switch v0.01]
[SPINDLE:SLB_SPINDLE]
[PLUGIN:SIENCI Indicator Lights v1.0]
[PLUGIN:Bootloader Entry v0.01]
[PLUGIN:Macro plugin v0.03]
[PLUGIN:SLB Probing v0.01]
[PLUGIN:SwitchBank plugin v0.02]
[PLUGIN:SDCARD v1.10]
[PLUGIN:FS macro plugin v0.05]
ok
Installed 1.6.3
Repeated Steps 1-3. Same unexpected results.
Repeated Steps 1,2,4. Same expected results.
@R.Portman Not that it matters, but I’m confused by your point 3. You say that you clicked on “go to”, but then you say “set Z=0”. Which are you clicking on? Go to Z0 or set Z0? I find that this can be confusing in the GUI.
@R.Portman Just a guess here because I’m not sure how this will behave on a Longmill. And I also don’t know if you have limit sensors.
Anyways, there’s a safe height setting in the gSender settings that is used when using the GoTo’s. Read what the notes say to understand how it works.
I don’t think it should drop z before doing any XY movement but it would be worthwhile to check.
@R.Portman Do you have limit sensors?
What happens if you move z to the very top and then use the same goto? Does it still move down by 1 inch or is it more this time? In other words, is the vertical movement always 1 in or does it move to the same machine z every time?
Yes I have limit sensors.
If I am at Z max (after pressing “Go to XY”) ( Z is indicating 0.927") and then I “Go To Location” with Z set to 0, then it just drops to 0 and stops.
If I lower the router 0.5" and then Go To Location with Z set to 0, then the router descends about an inch below 0, then comes back up to 0 and stops.
@R.Portman Understood, tks. I don’t have limit/homing switches and I’ve never used the airplane, so excuse my ignorance.
I guess what does come to me though is that if you home your machine, machine Z is set to zero. Then you are setting material Z0 to a different location = the top of the material. Now you tell it to go to Absolute Z0. Is it not supposed to go back to machine Z0, which is where it started from in its homing cycle?
@R.Portman Interesting. You did home the machine, right? Machine XYZ zeroes are at the top rear left?
@R.Portman Well, I’m stumped. That second paragraph describes behaviour that I don’t understand. It should do the opposite. I.e. Raise the spindle by the safe height value (0.1 in your case), move to xy, and then drop to z specified.
What happens if you change the safe height to 0?
What does the console show when you do the GOTO?