LongMill MK3 Board Inquiry

How can I find out if the new board for the Longmill MK3 30 x 30 supports ethernet connection? Super excited and would like to have everything there and ready for when the unit arrives.

Thanks everyone.

I just tried to see if I could find out. According to Easel’s website it does. This is from the bottom section of the linked page.

The LongMill MK3 runs grblHAL firmware on Sienci’s SLB-LITE controller. Easel’s live control, the Easel Driver and Rapid Connect, works with classic GRBL and FluidNC over USB, so it does not carve this machine in real time. Use Easel to design and generate toolpaths, then export the G-code and run it from the machine’s own controller through gSender over USB or Ethernet. Because Easel’s G-code is standard GRBL, it runs as-is. Select the LongMill MK3, choosing the 30x30 or 48x30 size, in Easel’s machine menu to size the canvas.

There is also this blog post if you haven’t seen it. I don’t see an obvious port in the pics and didn’t see it mentioned in a quick scan.

If you don’t get what you need here you can always Contact Sienci.

EDIT: I meant to mention that I’d like more than whatever Easel is saying!

1 Like

@Derekh1979 I could not find any mention of connectivity for the SLB-Lite so it’s probably best to ask Sienci.

That said, there are a few images of the board in the blog. Those don’t appear to show a RJ-45 connector for Ethernet. There is room for an expansion board, so maybe the board will have it? Best to ask Sienci.

3 Likes

Thanks Chucky, Appreciate your help :+1:

1 Like

Ethernet connectivity is not on the SLB-lite baseline, it’s part of a expansion board along with other connectors.

The reason is entirely price of the unit - but that is getting passed to customers. SLB-Lite per unit is cheaper than the existing SLB. The expansion board is priced so that it + the board is in-line with existing SLB prices. The expansion board will also be included in any accessory that requires it (like the ATC)

2 Likes

Where do I get more information on the expansion board? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what’s been shared, but it’s a pretty basic expansion board with ethernet, ATC connections, and aux connections. Excuse the rough soldering on my prototype, but it should sit directly on the SLB-lite and EXT2 casing with a female connector (we didn’t have any at the time).

It will be included with any accessory that requires it (like the ATC). It should result in a cheaper board for those who don’t need it, but will be priced to be in-line with existing SLB and SLB-EXT2 offerings if you do need it, and as I mentioned included with any accessory that requires it like the ATC.


Im truly interested just for the ethernet as ATC is not in my near future unfortunately but ok… will this be available separately? Thanks for your feedback as well. :clinking_beer_mugs:

Yes, it will be sold as a separate product, not just included with accessories. I’m not sure how this is being handled/timeline since it’s outside my area so can’t give any more specifics.

Thats not an issue totally understandable, truly appreciate your feedback.

@KGN Does the expansion board fit into the streamlined case?
I assume that I cannot continue to use my SLB, with its ethernet connection, with the Mk3, correct?

hey Grant unfortunately you will not be able to use the SLB with the MK3 due to the motor cable incompatibility.

@KGN Sorry, Kevin. I should have read your post more closely. The board will not fit in the Lite case.

@_Michael It seems that paragraph in Easel is inaccurate when it says “run it from the machine’s own controller through gSender over USB or Ethernet.” The LongMill Mk3 SLB-LITE does not have an ethernet port.

1 Like

I didn’t have much faith in what Easel said, hence my edit, and now I have even less. :frowning:

It is good to know that an expansion board is available for folks that need more functionality and those that don’t can save a few bucks.

@_Michael Agreed. I’m just glad that @Derekh1979 asked the question. I have a Mk3 on order and it never occurred to me that the new and improved controller would not have ethernet connectivity. For me, that’s a major step backwards from my SLB. It’s good that there will be an expansion board, but I’ll rest easier when Sienci announces when it will be available and at what cost. I will 3D print an enclosure for it as I don’t like the idea of electronics being out in the dust.

1 Like

I almost asked if you were gonna take the plunge and get a Mk3. Kind of amazing how much improved the Mk3 is over the Mk1 without much of a cost increase for the base model.

EDIT: Actually might not be any price increase as I was comparing a beginners kit to what I think I remember mine costing without the extras.

@_Michael Yeah. I’m lucky because I have a local buyer for my Mk1. I’ll take the opportunity to make some changes to my table, especially as it works for my vertical clamp and my Vortex. I’m bummed about having to go back to USB connectivity. I hope that it’s not for long. Early in the LM Mk1 days, before the SLB, I had more than my share of connectivity issues using USB. (I know that many have had no problems at all.)The major attraction of the SLB was the ethernet connectivity. The rest was all gravy. All that said, I’m still looking forward to setting up the Mk3.

2 Likes

Agreed, Feels like a step backwards but so many positives as well that will hopefully make up for it. I am staying positive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry if it wasn’t clear but the expansion board will come with a cover - I was just showing off the prototype PCB.

I don’t think they’ve arrived in Canada yet but here’s an early render with some jokes about the backpack approach to stacking board/expansion/power

2 Likes