Making my very first spoil board bit not cutting all the way through

You don’t need to answer I see from your post you are running Vcarve pro

And have longmill mk2 48x30

I have longmill mk1 30x30 but used idc woodcraft spoilboard

One think to verify in gsender on firmware tab can you check machine profile to Make sure it matches your machine

When I first connected to the Controller I changed the settings to reflect the MK2 48x30 on the drop down.

You may want to check with longmill tech support but after you change the profile you have to Flash grbl for it to take affect

Open up a trouble ticket a tell them what your problem is maybe they can help

I think there is that slight dip due to the way I built the undercarriage with the Kreg 64" x 44" work bench. There is a hybrid torsion system that starts 24 inches in from the front to the rear and runs from left to right on the rear of the subbase. Being that I wanted to have drawers in the front of the bench and use on of those for a key board tray I do not have a full cross member from the bottom of the encased cabinet / drawer system in the front. There is a piece that does connect to the base of the cabinet direct center that attaches to the center draw assembly that provides support to both the keyboard tray (left side Front) and the center and right drawer. those pieces of material are about 24 inches from both the Right and left side with the center drawer in the middle of those giving my an 7 inch wide center drawer and a 24 inch right drawer and the remained of space for a keyboard tray with room for mouse. I will upload my table build one of these days with a full cut list and list of all parts aka hardware used.

I watched the router travel today and noticed that there is some tilting going on when the z moves up and down Front to back. There is no play left or right and I did tram from the center of the board aka subbase.  But my wheels are all touching the gantry for the X-axis snuggly.
 But upon putting a square onto the cut out spoil board the four corners are dead on square. I checked with both a machinist square and with my 1281 Woodpeckers square. I am very impressed with the precision of the square cut now just have to figure out why I am not plunging all the way through. And why when the gcode is completed the unit does not return to the exact zero setting used to zero out the unit.

From looking at pictures did you cut rivit holes

Looks like you cut holes on top of your board

Update I spoke to Garrett From IDC Woodcraft and sent Him some of the photos posted here. He told me that I am having a mechanical issue that is affecting the right side. Since every thing is level I will recheck the Right rail and the right side of the X axis gantry where the wheels connect to see if there is any misalignment there. Garrett also said that I have some deviation in the table subbase and advise me to add another piece of MDF/ to the cut out area between the left and right rails as seen in the previously posted photos. I will take his advise under advisement as this would defeat the purpose of having the spoil board at the same level as the base of the feet giving me the greatest height of cut possible. I will check the rail and gantry and decide from there after I attempt to run the gcode one more time. If that pass does not cut all the way through then I will try to add another piece to the subbase As I do have some Baltic Birch that is reserved for a cabinet build for my MFT Cabinet setup based on Festool build series, but I will use it if I have too. I really do not like MDF and now that the light weight stuff is out on the market very wary of it. I do not use MDF for any building / Cabinet projects I build and this is the first time I used it in any build and this sheet cost me over 100.00 usd from the pro cabinet hardwood supplier because it was certified to be true 3/4 inch. Worse case I go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up another sheet from there and hope that it is consistent in size.

Jwar

I think that return to xy zero location has something to do with machine profile

Call longmill and open trouble ticket

They can trouble shoot and resolve this could also be the issue with z axis

Rivet holes are step 5 and I did attempt to cut them and the CNC only cut all the way through on the left side and towards the center. The Right side experienced the same issue that happened in step 4 where the right side did not cut all the way through the MDF until I paused the machine and by hand turning the Z Axis lead/ball screw until the bit was cutting into the subbase then resumed the program.
So in summary I used the Gcode from IDC Woodcraft ESTY store for a Spoil Board for a MK2 30x48 and followed the instruction manual in PDF through the various steps.
READ ME FIRST - IDC Woodcraft Longmill 30x48 Spoilboard Instructions.pdf (2.2 MB)
Step 1) Fit Check No tool in machine.
Step 2A) Square Check ( my unit was dead on square ) 124.5 mm on both readings.
Step 2B) Square Check Second test ( I did not use this as I was square at Step 2A)
Step 3) Mount and Alignment holes. (This is wher ei first started noticing that the CNC did not return to the X/Y zero point.
Step 4) Mount Holes C-Bore & Cutout ( At this point I notice that the right side was not Cutting all the way through and I was still not returning to X/Y zero point)
Step 5) Rivet Holes side 2 ( Spoil Board flipped over using alignment hole) ( Really noticed that the CNC is not cutting all the way through the MDF Center To the right Front corner to right rear) Also stil not returning to X/y zero point.
Step 6,7 not attempted due to current ongoing issues.

Thanks I am going to run through the gcode tomorrow (Sunday) after checking out the connection points Aka X gantry to Y rail Right side. Then watch closely the Z Axis travel as the CNC progresses through the gcode. If that fails to cut all the way through.
I will submit a support ticket as I am stumped if the unit is level and squared what can be the issue. I did have a hard time connecting originally to the Controller and was not successful until I installed gsender 1.1.7 and the unit first connected it thought it was connected to a Longmill MK1 30x 30, but I changed that to a MK2 30x48 an flashed the firmware. The gcode from IDC Woodcraft is for a MK2 30x48 spoil board and seems to be utilizing the full length pf the bench top with the exception of not cutting all the way through and not returning to X/Y zero point.

For now forget the spoil board

Put a piece of .75 Mdf on your work bench

Create a test cut using a 1/4 endmill and cut a square

Set xy to corner of board

Move gantry to center of board

Set probe to .25

Probe bit

After probe completed

Press return to zero

Does it return to xy zero location

If not call longmill

2 Likes

Jwar

Did you get your xy problem resolved??

Sorry for the long delay and it was a very long delay.
I started up the MK2 today March 20 2023. Placed my previous attempt at a spoil board onto the sub base and attempted to recut aka clean out the uncut holes. Set my Zeros to my previous marked and recorded zeros for all axis and the cnc did not hold to those numbers. It first rose to the top of the Z axis and grinded away for a few seconds. Then plunged down Cut the depth deeper than previous but wallowed out my rivet holes. As the X and Y axis decided that the numbers I placed at zero 25.010 and 17.256. So I stopped the program reset back to zero double checked numbers and lost the z zero and broke the bit. So now my bit is broke my spoil board is ruined and my Sienci MK2 does not hold the zeroing out of the axis. I will contact Sienci as I am disappointed in this unit. Starting to have serious regrets about my purchase would sell it but that only passes the problem to someone else and I am not that kind of guy. Hopeful Sienci People can resolve this or I have a CNC that is worthless.

It sounds like you’re going through a lot of the struggles a new CNC owner goes through, especially in the context of running codes designed by someone else.

When you design your own codes you get a better understanding of what you expect the machine to do and how it will act. You also have the latitude to adjust that behavior. You’re locked in to following someone else’s steps.

With what you describe, you should have hit the panic button the second your Z axis started grinding. From what I read, you had limit switches, yes? Are these not connected? They should have stopped you from hitting top of Z. My guess is that your table isn’t flat and because of that your 3rd party gcode isn’t performing as expected. You’re running into issues that are beyond your experience and that’s to be expected. It’s a good time to take a deep breath and start figuring things out. My guess is it’s not the Longmill.

Keep in mind, I’ve got issues with my Longmill. I’m also a well seasoned CNC operator and recognize it’s a quality machine with a bad component and Sienci is standing behind their product. I’m not coming from a Polyana point of view here. I’ve destroyed bits, wrecked more than a few spoil boards, and wasted hundreds of dollars in quality hardwood over the years learning hard lessons. It’s truly part of the process. That said, many folks have machines that are completely problem free.

2 Likes

Limit switches (Sensors) are disconnected for all axis.

Open up a trouble ticket with sienci labs

They can help resolve problem

Tech support ticket was submitted. I am awaiting a new 3/16 cnc bit to replace the broken bit. Before running any codes and test recommended by tech support from Sienci I will preform all actions suggested and advised to be completed and/or redone mechanically from the Support ticket response and then provide an update.
Table aka bench system has been has been rechecked for square and level and an adjustment was made to the rear left and front right leveling system to take out the slight deviation that was following the contour of the floor.
G Code from IDC Wood Craft was ran on a MK2 owned and operated by Garrett.
I will write a simple Gcode for a simple square plunge cut on a scrape piece of 3/4" mdf after the test for return over multiple times from Sienci to zero on all Axis has been completed. An update will be provided and hopefully all goes well.

1 Like