My Long Mill is acting up

I have one idea on what you could try as well: the initial movements to the circle are rapids whereas the remaining movements are a much slower feed rate. Perhaps you could try running a modified version of Grants file that I’ve done up where I’ve slowed down the initial movements

Grant’s modified gcode.gcode (21.4 KB)

If this file runs then it proves that your x-axis is struggling with movement at higher speeds. This could be due to many reasons: dirty x-rail, anti-backlash nut is too tight, slipping coupler, etc. but if that’s the case then we can cross that bridge when we get there

You know what Chris this is becoming frustrating trying to follow the sites instructions for firmware update, not easy.

How can I do so many successful carves and the I’m told to call V Carve, have you noticed my g code files, have you noticed I tried a g code file from @gwilki here.

What’s up, I have a backlog of work.

Bill if you’d like I can hop on a call with you if you PM me your phone number.

I don’t think you need to deal with firmware necessarily to fix your problem as I noted in my previous message

It’s about 7pm now but I’ll try to make myself available till 8 if I can

@Bill @chrismakesstuff Bill: I truly can understand your frustration. However, for what it’s worth, I would take Chris up on his offer, and I would try his modified gcode. He is far more expert in this than I am - far more. I didn’t think of slowing down the rapid move. It would address why X will move while jogging and while running your file and my file, but will not do the first move, though.

I appreciate that you have jobs backed up, but if your Mill is not functioning properly, it can only get worse. (What an optimist I am.) If Chris’ solution works, it will work for all your jobs.

1 Like

@gwilki & @chrismakesstuff , Thank you Both for all your help, sorry if I was short, Chris thanks, will see if I get through the weekend, will let you know Monday, sometimes flying without wings can be a little rough!

1 Like

@gwilki , I truly appreciate your consistent help and suggestions (my online friend), I have not been around CNC stuff much, willing to learn, been around pc stuff for years, never know what the fix is some times! Even an old photographer can learn new tricks!

@Bill You’re very welcome, Bill. That’s what this group is for, after all. Like you, I’m quite new to the CNC world, so we are both learning as we go along. In my case, I’ve made so many mistakes and fell into so many holes that I seem to have some ability to help sometimes. Pls post when you get time to try Chris’ revised code. I’m really interested to see if that addresses this particular problem. Clearly, it will not be a solution. But, it will be another piece of the puzzle. If it works, it will help to point at the particular hardware/Mill issue which is the root cause.

1 Like

@gwilki & @chrismakesstuff , working flawless so far today, thanks again!

2 Likes

@Bill That’s great Bill !! What did you do?

1 Like

@chrismakesstuff did it, not sure exactly what he did, took over my computer, quite the magician for sure. New firmware and more.

1 Like

Grant, still not sure of the main source of the problem but Bill’s machine was really not keen on moving at rapid pace (4000mm/min) in the x-axis so I throttled to 2000 for the time being and now no lost steps :+1:

Tks, Chris. I don’t feel so bad for missing that. As soon as you changed the feed in the gcode that I sent to Bill and put out the idea of the fast jog being the problem, I just knew that you had hit on something. Nothing else really made sense. Clearly, it could move in X; it just would not take that initial fast jog.

Learn something new every day.

Take care, Chris. Tks for the education. :grinning:

@gwilki , @chrismakesstuff , ran the machine all day, no a missed step for over 8 hr.s running, hitting it hard again tomorrow, I’m a happy camper!

1 Like

@gwilki @chrismakesstuff The stepper motor for the x axis does seem quite a bit warmer to the touch, just remembered I had a digital thermometer for when I build Tube amplifiers, y axis stepper at 92° F. z axis 86° F, x axis 104° F, (now @ 109° F) not sure if that’s normal or not.

I am on my 3rd 2 hour carve today.

After 1 1/2 hour carve x axis was up to 112° F, all other motors remained cool

Final temp after 2 hours was 123° F

@Bill Sounds like your X motor is working hard. Have you checked how tight your delrin wheels and the anti-backlash nut are?

1 Like

@gwilki I have checked, maybe I have the x axis to tight, I had some movement on the gantry so maybe I overdid it, back lash is set as per the Chris video getting ready for first carve.

@Bill These things can be a pain, and I’m just grasping at straws here, Bill. It’s particularly easy to overdo it on the anti-backlash nut, as the adjustment for it is in terms of a small fraction of a turn of the screw.

1 Like

@gwilki When I loosen the x axis gantry wheels, I then get some lateral slop in the gantry, when I watched @chrismakesstuff video about the backlash on the y axis gantry he advised to tighten the back lash until there is no more movement “Clunk”

Doesn’t seem quite the same for the x gantry.

@Bill Ignore all this, if it’s painfully obvious to you. :grinning:

The anti-backlash nuts stop movement in the direction of the lead screws. So,in the case of the X axis, if you can move the Z gantry/router left and right at all, you need to adjust the antibacklash nut on the X lead screw.

If the delrin wheels on the X axis are too loose, you will be able to “nod” the router back and forth. Take a hold of the router and try to pivot it up or down. If it moves at all, the wheels need adjusting.

1 Like

@gwilki & @chrismakesstuff , although embarrassed and humbled I must confess, I found my problem.
I was going over all my setup adjustments last night and found the bottom wheels had slipped off the v track and were actually riding to the rear (possible to the front) of aluminum V, no wonder I had some many issues with adjustments and strange sounds (moaning) coming from the machine on x axis moves. Learned to never stop looking at the basics, testament to the machine it actually was carving very well.

Humbled Bill

1 Like