Finally got around to installing the Tool Length Sensor on my Altmill after using the Auto Zero Touch for a month or so. No problems when I ran the TLS wizard (positions properly and good continuity). Ran a short macro (couple of M6 Tx commands) to test it. The spindle drops to measure the length of the bit, however, it forces the magnetically attached “arm” of the TLS down enough that the bottom hits the spoil/waste board underneath. Thankfully it achieved continuity before damaging anything.
When I watched the Sienci Labs TLS installation video I noticed their bit didn’t retract (achieve continuity) until the bit pushed the coin-shaped platform down approx. 1-2mm. I assumed the TLS would operate like the AZT where the bit would immediately retract the very instant the bit made the slightest electrical/physical contact with the platform. Could be wrong, but I get the impression the TLS measures bit length indirectly via a switch rather than directly via metal to metal contact alone.
If this is the case, then it would appear the internal spring inside my TLS has too much tension, the magnets are weak, or maybe a little of both.
I contacted Sienci Labs about this yesterday. Hope to hear something back Mon.
@WoodFun I’d be interested to know if the TLS works via electrical continuity, a mechanical switch, or both.
Regardless, there have been several posts here and on Facebook about the spring being too stiff. I don’t recall the official Sienci fix but I know some users have sourced a weaker spring from Amazon or other supplier.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, @Chucky_ott and @DavidB (appreciate the link).
Before using/installing the TLS, I assumed the TLS measured bit length via electrical continuity alone (like the AZT) and that the spring loaded platform was a fail-safe, linked to a switch to prevent over extension of the spindle/bit.
If the problem with my unit is simply incorrect spring tension, that would seem to indicate there is no fail-safe. Not sure I understand the rationale for designing it this way.
Thanks for taking the time to post this, @_Michael. If the video covered all this I missed it. In any case, sounds like my TLS has one of the overly aggressive springs. At least it’s any easy fix. Appreciate everybody’s help!