Question regarding surfacing

Hello!
Looking to surface my table. I looked at the surfacing feature and really didn’t show anything like how to use it. Do I use the zero block in the left rear corner or do I just touch it to the surface of the bed and let it go? Any assistance for this greenhorn would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jake

2 Likes

Been a few days Jake, so hopefully you’ve figured it out. If I remember properly how I did mine is I used the paper method. Used Garrett’s “Big Stiffy” and lowered the bit down till I couldn’t move the paper any more in the corner I wanted to start in. Then chose the “back and forth” method and only surfaced .03125 (again if memory serves me). I wanted to take as little off as I could get away with in the beginning.

@EdwardS thanks Edward! I did the back and forth method and wasn’t happy with the grooves. Went back and did the round and round. Left a Mohawk in the center. Was easy to sand it down. Table is smooth and flat. Ended up taking .04 inches off. Appreciate the response

Jake

1 Like

Any time! What all have you made so far? I’ve been very lucky with my work schedule so far as it has allowed me many hours of play on mine. Looking to get a webpage setup within the next few weeks assuming I can get a sale or two off of FB Marketplace to help with the startup cost. Quickly am finding out I should had ordered the 1/16 endmill from Garrett before he raised his prices. This machine is so much damn fun it should be illegal!

As the original issue has been addressed, I’m closing this topic. If anyone else has a similar concern, feel free to start a new topic, which will ensure that it is addressed promptly.