Tool Number Description in Fusion vs. V-Carve

Hi all;

First post ever, so be gentle :wink: .

I just received the TLS and had a couple issues that I figured would be covered in the forums somewhere. While digging, I noticed that it seems the tool descriptions are shown differently between Fusion (what I use) and V-Carve in the post-processed machine files.

V-Carve displays the tool number and description where Fusion does not:

Snapshot for program created with V-Carve

Snapshot for program created with Fusion

I checked some boxes in Fusion and changed a couple things in the tool setup itself, but no success. Is there a change or something in the grbl/grblHAL post-processor in Fusion to make this work?

Thanks!

gSender annotates the Tool Timeline with any comments, (..) or ;… on lines with a M6. If you want the same information, you’d need to have Fusion append a comment containing tool information with M6 commands.

I think the default grbl postprocessor already appends the tool comment section as a comment next to M6 (so your annotations would need to go there), but I’m not an avid Fusion user so hopefully someone can confirm/correct me.

Hi KGN;

Thanks for the reply.

You’re correct, the tool.comment variable shows below the M6 line in the NC file but does not appear in the gSender tool dialog.

I messed around with the gcode and simply added “; <>” after the M6 command and the tool name appeared, similar to how the Vectric files look. Success, but a manual activity.

I think I’m going to poke around in the grbl forums to see if anyone has tackled this somehow.

make sure your tool settings in the fusion tool library don’t have the manual tool change check box checked.