UGS Platform issues

Mark, you got me thinking about the machine setup in Fusion. You obviously know more about it than I do, because as it turns out it’s not that big a deal to set up the LongMill as a new machine. Your directions for adding the post processor is indeed easier if you set up the machine. I’m not sure it’s worth it but it is cool.

Thanks.

Bill, I’m a complete noob at CNC and F360. I just figured that if there was a part of the system that could describe the capabilities of the machine I was using, it would probably benefit to use it.

I’ve used SketchUp for at least a decade, so I’m good with 3D modeling. Picking up F360’s approach wasn’t too hard, although I’m still learning something every time I use it. Learning the CAM side - I figure I’m still near the very bottom of a rather steep learning curve.

Mark, quite a few people here are F360 users, most better than I am, so if you need help with F360, the LongMIll, or CNC please ask.

If you’re getting into the manufacturing area of F360, I always recommend watching the YouTube videos by Winston Moy. He did quite a few on his own and now works for Carbide 3D. He has good suggestions for feeds and speeds, and the pluses/minuses of toolpath types.

I use F360, even for relatively simple jobs, because it lets you see exactly what you are going to end up with, and it has a great toolpath selection, so you’re in complete control. The preview feature lets you watch the milling simulation, which has come in real handy for catching setup mistakes. It also has a grbl post processor that produces gcode that UGS and the other senders are happy with.

Have fun.

Bill

1 Like