What are your plans for a table?

Thanks! Yes it does. I was concerned about that when I was building it. My thought was that if that became an issue I would come up with a way to quick connect it to a wall while carving. But, I havenā€™t needed to.

2 Likes

I built a 48x48x40" table out of MDF, 2x4ā€™s and 4x4ā€™s. After four months of the mill sitting in its box we finished it last week. It has a full shelf on the bottom which is six inches above the floor. There are two layers of 3/4" MDF on top. One is the waste board although I might add a separate small waste board yet.

Iā€™m thinking itā€™s too tall because itā€™s in the basement of my 72 year old house and the ceiling is pretty low. Maybe I should have made it 30" tall instead? Hmmm.

1 Like

As long as itā€™s a comfortable height, youā€™ll be fine. The vertical space needed above the table isnā€™t all that much (maybe 15"). Whatever your basement ceiling height is, there should be plenty of vertical clearance.

I am building a vertical storage and it will tip down to horizontal on a 1" pipe, hopefully with a storage drawer below and a slide out laptop storage below the table. been drawing it up for the past couple days.

I thought about building a vertical table, since I want to potentially run long stock through the machine. Instead, I went with a table that flips up for storage.

Hinges are 14 inches about table height, so it can fold up against the wall and leave the workbench (to the right) fully usable.

Size: 46 inches (x axis dimension) by 48 (y axis). I tried to make the wasteboard the max size I could surface with my 5/8 flat bit. Iā€™ll make it a little smaller next time because I miscalculated and had to trim the edges with a knifeā€¦ doh.

At that size, thereā€™s not much room for the electronics. I wanted to keep them on the left out of the way, and the box just barely fit vertically by the rail.

Like the idea of a flip up table. Iā€™m waiting in line for my machine and just starting my table, but Iā€™ll do a floor model on casters for now.
Good luck.
Glen

1 Like

Longmill is on the way, used your posts for inspiration of building a simple table.
Thanks for all your help!

3 Likes

My table is a work in progress but here it is so far.

It is meant to hold my laser cutter, 3D printer, and drill press on the top of the bench, and be completely enclosed with space to work on the CNC portion which is the entire bottom that needs to be boxed in. I am avoiding making the sides for now to verify that the height is comfortable, because the height is easy to fix if I got it wrong right now, but will be a big job if I build the sides and the doors. I plan to have doors front and back to allow pass-through of large material, windows on the side with the light switch, and a solid wall on the far side.

5 Likes

Waiting on my Longmill to come (probably Febā€¦#36 in the queue) and built my table over the holiday break. It is a bot of a frankenstein. I wanted to have the ability to machine the edges of table tops, cabinet doors, etc, and so designed it to be able to convert to having a wide open slot to accomodate edge machining. Used a cheap base cabinet from HD and built a unistrut frame around it. Top is mdf prepared for t-track. Back 1/3 of machining area is a removable piece that exposes a t-track ā€œwallā€ (back of the cabinet) for mounting edge machined pieces. Will post more pics as I am allowed by my trust levelā€¦

4 Likes

I just finished putting my enclosure together last week. My cnc is in the 2nd bedroom of my apartment (donā€™t tell my landlord) so sound and dust have to be kept to a minimum. I have a festool dust extractor hooked up to the sienci dustboot that fits underneath the table I built to hold the CNC (extractor not pictured)

My electronics are mounted to one of the table legs outside of the enclosure which saved some room for the footprint of the machine. On version 2 (if that ever happens) I would make some minor tweaks but overall for the price - 2 sheets of MDF, screws and a mis match mix can of paint for $5 - I am very happy with how it turned out. It also runs quieter than my festool vac.

Since space is a concern mounting good quality locking casters could be a good option for easy mobility. The machine is heavier than I thought it would be. Also I am very happy I broke my budget a bit and went with festool dust extraction - super quiet, and powerful with a great warranty.

8 Likes

Due to a small shop I built my table to tilt, only sticks out about 2ā€™ when tilted. I am planning an external monitor mounted on a tilt/ swivel mount to keep the dust off the laptop.

12 Likes

Wow Bill. Nice build.

1 Like

@Bill I see your problem, Bill, even though you didnā€™t ask for my advice. That Mill is MUCH too clean. :grinning:

Well done!

3 Likes

Nice build!
On another noteā€¦is that an MGB peeking out of that cover?

Cleaned it up prior to pics

Nope Dewey, used to restore Triumps though, just my Vette.

1 Like

@gtrboy77 Wow! Love this table. My brother and I just got our 30x30 longmill and also made the same micro jig system. The only drag was that we did it by hand because weā€™re both too new to comfortably generate g-code for cuts like this. Did you do yours by hand? If not, would you be able to post the g-code you used to cut it/tell us how you generated it?

Wish I had a G-code, but I did it all by hand with a router and a straightedge.

1 Like

@Bill Just your vette ??? :racing_car:

2 Likes

@liamflanagan Welcome to the group Liam.

I had the micro jig clamping system on my spoil board, but replaced it. I donā€™t see it in Billā€™s pic. Iā€™m thinking that we are not talking about the same thing. I may have some gcode for what you are after. Can you point me to the things in Billā€™s pics that you are referring to?

1 Like